  1. Guest

    What's the difference between XSD and XSI?

    , May 3, 2007

  2. * wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >What's the difference between XSD and XSI?

    Presumably you want to know that these are different initialisms, one is
    typically expanded to "XML Schema Document" or "XML Schema Datatypes" or
    similar, while the other is typically expanded to "XML Schema Instance".
    When used as namespace prefixes, they usually expand to different name-
    space names.

    Bjoern Hoehrmann, May 3, 2007

  3. Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
    > typically expanded to "XML Schema Document" or "XML Schema Datatypes" or

    .... or XML Schema Definition. Which of these meanings applies depends on
    the context in which the term is used.

    > When used as namespace prefixes, they usually expand to different name-
    > space names.

    xsd: usually maps to "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema", which is the
    namespace for schemas themselves. You'd use this namespace to define the
    datatypes and normal structure of your document.

    xsi: usually maps to "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance", which
    is the namespace for schema-related information that appears in instance
    documents. You'd use this namespace to do things like say which schema
    document describes this document, or to state that an element is a
    particular sub-type of the type the schema requires it to be.

    If that doesn't help you, ask a more specific question. Or perhaps just read
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-0-20041028/
    or another introduction to XML Schema and its uses. (Herewith, my
    standard plug for the many tutorials and articles at http://www.ibm.com/xml)

    Joe Kesselman, May 3, 2007

    Thanks.

    The XML file that I encounter has a line
    <manifest xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

    I don't quite understand what's the meaning of this line. If you can
    provide some examples , that will be more helpful.

  5. wrote:
    > <manifest xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
    > xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    >
    > I don't quite understand what's the meaning of this line. If you can
    > provide some examples , that will be more helpful.

    It has an element called manifest -- whatever that is -- which declares
    the xsd and xsi namespaces. See the links I pointed you to for
    information about what those namespaces are used for. If you don't
    understand XML namespaces, see a good XML tutorial.

    Joseph Kesselman, May 3, 2007