XSL-FO and columns of text, is it possible?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Richard, May 16, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hello everyone! Is it possible to create 2 columns of text
    using XSL-FO and FOP (or any other XSL-FO to PDF generator)?
    I want the function similar to 'fo:block' but in 2 columns,
    so if the text is long it continous on the 2nd column or on
    the next page.

    Let me show the function with an example:

    Page 1
    -----------------------
    | |
    | aaaaaabb jjjjkkkk |
    | bbbccccd kkklllll |
    | ddddddee llllmmmm |
    | eeeeffff mmmmmmnn |
    | ggggghhh nnnnnnnn |
    | iiiiiijj nnoooppp |
    | |
    -----------------------

    Page 2
    -----------------------
    | |
    | ppppqqqq |
    | qqqqrrrr |
    | rrsssstt |
    | ttt... |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    -----------------------

    ....is this possible with XSL-FO?

    /Richard

    Richard, May 16, 2004

  2. Richard (16 May 2004 03:31:10 -0700):
    > Hello everyone! Is it possible to create 2 columns of text
    > using XSL-FO and FOP (or any other XSL-FO to PDF generator)?

    fo:region-body has an attribute called colum-count. Set it to 2 and you
    get 2 columns of text.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Huebsch www.hübsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemmnitz, Informatik, RNVS
    GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA | Str. d. Nationen 62, B204

    Chris Huebsch, May 16, 2004

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    THANKS A LOT Chris!
    <fo:region-body column-count="2"/> works great.

    I have been looking all over the net for information
    on that without success. Maybe I nead a book.

    thanks again!
    /Richard

    Richard, May 16, 2004
  4. Richard (16 May 2004 07:56:48 -0700):
    > THANKS A LOT Chris!
    > <fo:region-body column-count="2"/> works great.
    >
    > I have been looking all over the net for information
    > on that without success. Maybe I nead a book.

    the FOP-Documentation includes a complete element and attribute-list
    (including a list, what is implemented and what is not)

    It links to the (rather technical) xsl:fo-Spec at the w3c.

    Furthermore there is an excelent documentation at zvon.org

    And Renderx has a good tutorial, although it contains some
    renderx-speciffic stuff
    http://www.renderx.com/Tests/doc/html/tutorial.html

    Chris

    Chris Huebsch, May 16, 2004
  5. Richard

    john farrow Guest

    You are much better off with a book, this one is good:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...i1_xgl14/102-1612220-5812121?v=glance&s=books

    John

    Visual Programming Ltd mail PO Box 22-222, Khandallah, Wellington, New
    Zealand site Level 2, 2 Ganges Road, Khandallah, Wellington, New Zealand
    phone +64 4 479 1738 fax +64 4 479 1294 web http://www.xmlpdf.com

    john farrow, May 18, 2004