    FOP, RenderX or anything else can actually make it happen.

    Thanks vary much.
    Mark Wheadon.

    Mark Wheadon, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Hi,

    Mark Wheadon wrote:

    > We have a 'standard letters' type app that can produce the letter as
    > an XSL-FO document. We have used FOP to produce PDFs and are quite
    > impressed. We also need to be able to print the letter and also choose
    > paper from different printer bins. This is mostly so that headed paper
    > can be used for the first page and continuation for the rest.
    >
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to define this with XSL-FO and if
    > FOP, RenderX or anything else can actually make it happen.

    RenderX XEP can ascribe arbitrary PostScript page device settings
    to individual page masters: this gives a chance to switch trays, trigger
    manual feed etc. This feature only works for PostScript output:
    PDF format does not let you store printer-specific instructions in the
    document.

    Regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX

    Nikolai Grigoriev, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Mark Wheadon

    Mark Wheadon Guest

    "Nikolai Grigoriev" <> wrote in message news:<bn3avv$2q23$>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Mark Wheadon wrote:
    >
    > > We have a 'standard letters' type app that can produce the letter as
    > > an XSL-FO document. We have used FOP to produce PDFs and are quite
    > > impressed. We also need to be able to print the letter and also choose
    > > paper from different printer bins. This is mostly so that headed paper
    > > can be used for the first page and continuation for the rest.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if it is possible to define this with XSL-FO and if
    > > FOP, RenderX or anything else can actually make it happen.

    > RenderX XEP can ascribe arbitrary PostScript page device settings
    > to individual page masters: this gives a chance to switch trays, trigger
    > manual feed etc. This feature only works for PostScript output:
    > PDF format does not let you store printer-specific instructions in the
    > document.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nikolai Grigoriev
    > RenderX

    Thanks Nik, is there any chance that you could give me a quick
    example. I downloaded the XEP trial (I know it doesn't do PS) and have
    had a look through the documentation briefly but can't see how I might
    do what you suggest.

    Thanks again. MAW.

    Mark Wheadon, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Hi Mark,

    "Mark Wheadon" <> wrote:

    > Thanks Nik, is there any chance that you could give me a quick
    > example. I downloaded the XEP trial (I know it doesn't do PS) and have
    > had a look through the documentation briefly but can't see how I might
    > do what you suggest.

    Here's the relative specs:

    http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.html#Page_Device
    http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.pdf#Page_Device

    Essentially, we have a very general processing instruction
    that inserts arbitrary PostScript code as a value for an
    entry in page device dictionary. This value my be set
    for the whole document (in which case the PI should
    be located at top level, before <fo:root>), or for an
    individual page (in this case, the PI is placed inside
    <fo:simple-page-master> for that page). Some examples:

    <?xep-postscript-page-device /Duplex true?>
    <fo:root xmlns:fo=....>

    sets duplex mode for the document (and reverts back to the
    original mode in the document trailer);

    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="first-page">
    <?xep-postscript-page-device /MediaColor (yellow)?>
    <?xep-postscript-page-device /MediaType (coversheet)?>
    <fo:region-body margin="1.5in 1in"/>
    sets /MediaColor and /MediaType entries for padedevice
    for pages _produced with this page-master_ (and reverts
    them back to original values in the page trailer);

    <?xep-postscript-page-device
    /InputAttributes
    << 0 << /PageSize [612 1008] >>
    1 << /PageSize [612 792]
    /MediaType (letterhead)
    /MatchAll true

    ?>

    specifies a whole /InputAttributes dictionary to tweak media selection
    policies for the document.

    A necessary admonition: the mechanism is extremely powerful
    but requires care to use. Incorrect PostScript code in the PI may
    ruin the whole output file. Allowed entries for setpagedevice
    and currentpagedevice are printer-specific; please consult your
    printer manual for a list of page device options and their values.
    Please also note that the resulting code may not be portable
    across printers.

    Regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX