XSL-FO Training

Discussion in 'XML' started by Steve Ball, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Steve Ball

    Steve Ball Guest

    Zveno, in association with the National Library of Australia, is
    presenting
    a two day, hands-on training course on XSL Formatting Objects on
    2nd-3rd December 2004
    in Canberra Australia. The course will be held at the National
    Library.

    Please contact Steve Ball, Zveno, to register for
    the course.

    Course outline is as follows:

    XSL Formatting Objects

    XSL Formatting Objects
    - XSL Concepts
    * eXtensible Style Language
    * XSL phases
    * Using XSLT and XSL-FO
    * Simple example
    * About stylesheets
    * Status
    - XSLFO Concepts
    * eXtensible Stylesheet Language
    * Status
    * XSL Processing
    * Features
    * Formatting
    * Area tree
    * Paging and scrolling
    * Page layout model
    * Area model
    * Internationalisation
    - XSLFO Details
    * XSL namespace
    * Basic Document
    * Layout masters
    * Pages
    * Block level elements
    * Tables
    * Lists
    * Inline level elements
    * Display Properties
    * Graphics
    * Headers and Footers
    - Colophon
    * 100% pure XML presentation
    * Design

    ---

    Steve Ball | XSLT Standard Library | Training &
    Seminars
    Zveno Pty Ltd | Web Tcl Complete | XML XSL Schemas
    http://www.zveno.com/ | TclXML TclDOM | Tcl, Web
    Development

    +---------------------------+---------------------
    Ph. +61 2 6242 4099 | Mobile (0413) 594 462 | Fax +61 2 6242
    4099

    Steve Ball, Nov 18, 2004

  2. On 18 Nov 2004 15:46:21 -0800, (Steve Ball) wrote:

    >Zveno, in association with the National Library of Australia,
    >is presenting a two day, hands-on training course on
    >XSL Formatting Objects on 2nd-3rd December 2004...

    And why would a training course on a "dead end idea" be required in the
    first place?

    --
    Rex

    Jan Roland Eriksson, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:
    > On 18 Nov 2004 15:46:21 -0800, (Steve Ball) wrote:
    >

    >>Zveno, in association with the National Library of Australia,
    >>is presenting a two day, hands-on training course on
    >>XSL Formatting Objects on 2nd-3rd December 2004...

    > And why would a training course on a "dead end idea" be required in the
    > first place?

    Interesting that it has become a dead end idea? I've used it a couple of
    times to offer PDF output as an option.

    Is there another open-source tool that will do a similar job?

    ExGuardianReader, Nov 20, 2004
  4. On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:57:16 +0000 (UTC), ExGuardianReader
    <> wrote:

    >Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:

    >> On 18 Nov 2004 15:46:21 -0800, (Steve Ball) wrote:
    >>>Zveno, in association with the National Library of Australia,
    >>>is presenting a two day, hands-on training course on
    >>>XSL Formatting Objects on 2nd-3rd December 2004...

    >> And why would a training course on a "dead end idea" be required in the
    >> first place?

    >Interesting that it has become a dead end idea?

    Several years back when the XSL initiative started (in a hilarious state
    of mind thinking that everything in this world should be X'ed and it
    could only become better :) it did not take long before those with
    sound insight in what markup is really about, realized that what was
    really needed as a complement to the XML meta language was a fully
    functional transformation language.

    Of course we already had that situation in the SGML world with DSSSL as
    a steady companion, so there could be no real harm in using the newly
    defined XML meta language to set up a new transformation language.

    Thus XSL-Transformation got worked on for real to yield a fully Turing
    complete programming language that can, together with a suitable
    processor of course, be used to produce just about any kind of output
    from an original loose or fully semantically defined XML source.

    But here it is, "the dead end" as I named it; XSL-FO does not define any
    kind of semantic value to the content of its elements, at best it is a
    "shortcut description" on how to pretty print a monotonous mass of
    content with no additional info what so ever on what different pieces of
    that content might represent.

    >I've used it a couple of times to offer PDF output as an option.

    I take that to mean that you have used XSL-FO marked up content as data
    input to some PDF generating processor, right?

    XSL-FO in it self is not a processor and thus can not produce PDF docs,
    for sure.

    >Is there another open-source tool that will do a similar job?

    A Google search for the term "xml2pdf" gives some 25000+ hits.
    I don't think that it is impossible to find an open source'd processor
    among those hits that still do not require from you to start with XSL-FO
    markup as its input.

    --
    Rex

    Jan Roland Eriksson, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:
    > But here it is, "the dead end" as I named it; XSL-FO does not define any
    > kind of semantic value to the content of its elements, at best it is a
    > "shortcut description" on how to pretty print a monotonous mass of
    > content with no additional info what so ever on what different pieces of
    > that content might represent.

    Yes, that's a necessary tool. Something to produce "pretty" output. Once
    you get data on paper, it doesn't contain info about *what* the data is
    in the way XML does. It's just a report! Unless you want all reports to
    be done in XML, and humans to be able to parse it mentally just so that
    they know what they're looking at!

    >>I've used it a couple of times to offer PDF output as an option.

    > I take that to mean that you have used XSL-FO marked up content as data
    > input to some PDF generating processor, right?

    Well, I've used Jakarta FOP to process the FO content into PDF.

    ExGuardianReader, Nov 27, 2004
  6. On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:26:16 +0000 (UTC), ExGuardianReader
    <> wrote:

    >Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:
    >> ...XSL-FO does not define any kind of semantic value to the content
    >> of its elements, at best it is a "shortcut description" on how to
    >> pretty print a monotonous mass of content...

    >Yes, that's a necessary tool. Something to produce "pretty" output.
    >Once you get data on paper, it doesn't contain info about *what*
    >the data is in the way XML does.

    PDF's are not for paper presentation only;
    PDF's can contain structural information about their content.

    --
    Rex

    Roland Eriksson, Nov 29, 2004