[XSL] Problem with tables and page breaks : how to insert a summary ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Mathieu CARTOIXA, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I am currently developing an application that should be able to print
    bank accounts histories. As the input data are formatted in XML, the obvious
    technical solution retained was to use a XSL transformation (possibly
    XSL-FO) on the data, and print the result.
    The problem is the following : the result shall be presented in a table,
    a single row corresponding to a single transaction (with its date, its
    value, etc...). If the history is too long to fit in a single page, then the
    table shall be splitted over two or more pages (which is easy to achieve),
    but a current balance for the account (acting as a summary for the current
    page) shall be appended in the last row of each page to be continued, and
    inserted in the first row of each continuing page (I hope i am making sense
    here...). And I have found no way to achieve this with the XSL technology,
    even in theory (I mean reading the W3C recommendation).
    I have found no way to automatically insert or append a row when a page
    break occurs in a table, and I have found no way either, when building the
    table, to determine the current position in the page (which could help to
    decide when to append the specific row). The only information I have found
    on the subject (http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/N8922.html#d1128e222)
    does not seem to be applyable to this case, as our pages also contain
    footers...

    Any help highly appreciated...

    Mathieu CARTOIXA

    Mathieu CARTOIXA, Jul 17, 2003