    fairly easily. Any suggestions for a concise, clear and reasonably complete
    intro to xsl-t?

    tia ... Bill.

    Bill Leal, Dec 16, 2003

  2. In article <brnkab$lac$-state.edu>,
    Bill Leal <-state.edu> wrote:

    % I have a pretty good programming background and can read technical material
    % fairly easily. Any suggestions for a concise, clear and reasonably complete
    % intro to xsl-t?

    I tried to give a concise and clear introduction in the manual to my
    rexx xml package. The package is

    http://www.interlog.com/~ptjm/rexxxml100.zip

    and the manual is rexxxml.pdf. It's about a 1Mb down-load. Look in
    the table of contents to find the XSLT section, which is about
    15 pages long.

    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada

    Patrick TJ McPhee, Dec 16, 2003

  3. "Bill Leal" <-state.edu> wrote in message
    > I've looked at probably a dozen books that attempt a tutorial on xsl-t.
    > All of them are chatty, have lots of examples, but nowhere give a clear
    > explanation of how xsl-t works. I have managed to pick up that there's
    > iteration, and that recursion can be used to handle some kinds of
    > processing, but still don't know what the basic computing paradigm is.

    Declarative.

    The processor starts with the root element and finds the best matching
    template and applies it. A template may "apply-templates", which
    recurses this process of finding and applying the best matching template
    for all nodes in the current node.

    You can override what nodes to process in apply-templates. There are also
    named templates, which can be called like normal procedures, and for-each,
    which has an even more imperative flavour.

    Groetjes,
    Maarten Wiltink

    Maarten Wiltink, Dec 16, 2003
  4. The book for studying and mastering XSLT is:

    "Beginning XSLT"

    by Jeni Tennison.

    =====
    Cheers,