XSL ... two templates ?

Alan Searle

I have some XML/XSL web pages which display data grids (stored in XML
and formatted by the XSL file). This works fine.

However, I would like to retrieve an item of text from the grid (one
particular column which will later be removed from the display) and show
this as a main title for the page (i.e. the title will vary depending on
the grid that is opened).

The result should look like this:

Region: London

Month Sales Sales Person
Jan 4345 John
Jan 8494 Sue
Jan 7849 Peter

The grid works fine but I am having trouble plucking the title (in this
case 'London') out of the XML file for prior display.

I believe that I need to declare two templates (i.e. one for the title
and one for the grid) but am really not sure how to do this.

Does anyone have an idea? Or maybe a suggestion for an alternative
technique?

Any tips or recommendations of tutorials would be a great help.

Many thanks,
Alan Searle

PS: Remove the xxx in the e-mail to send me a message

Martin Honnen

Alan said:
However, I would like to retrieve an item of text from the grid (one
particular column which will later be removed from the display) and show
this as a main title for the page (i.e. the title will vary depending on
the grid that is opened).

What you need to do depends on the input XML, in terms of XSLT all you
need to do is put a literal result title element with e.g.
<title><xsl:value-of select="/element/child1/child2/child" /></title>
at the proper place where the title element belongs in HTML. That XPath
expression as the select attribute value of course needs to be written
according to which element you want to select in your XML but as you
haven't bothered to share your XML that is all we can suggest.

Alan Searle

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your tip ...
What you need to do depends on the input XML, in terms of XSLT all you
need to do is put a literal result title element with e.g.
<title><xsl:value-of select="/element/child1/child2/child" /></title>
at the proper place where the title element belongs in HTML.

This sounds like exactly what I need but I gave it a try and couldn't
get it to display. That's a shame.
That XPath
expression as the select attribute value of course needs to be written
according to which element you want to select in your XML but as you
haven't bothered to share your XML that is all we can suggest.

Sorry about not sending the XML. Below are excerpts from the XML and
XSL files (I want to display the 'LangFrom' field in the title) ...

Excerpt from XML ...
--------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="OpenJobs.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
<dataroot>
<job>
<job_id>8029</job_id>
<Status>A</Status>
<job_Title>Report 2005</job_Title>
<Action_pers>Hansen, M</Action_pers>
<LangFrom>EN</LangFrom>
<LangInto>DA</LangInto>
<job_Pages>0.5</job_Pages>
</job>
<job>
<job_id>7948</job_id>
<Status>C</Status>
<job_Title>Update of OrgaChart</job_Title>
<Action_pers>Hald, B</Action_pers>
<LangFrom>EN</LangFrom>
<LangInto>DA</LangInto>
<job_Pages>1</job_Pages>
</job>
</dataroot>

Excerpt from the XSL ...
------------------------
<xsl:template match="dataroot">
<head>

... some javascript here
</script>

</head>
<h1>Language: <xsl:value-of select="/job/LangFrom" /></h1>

Code goes on to display the grid in this table ...
-------------------------

Maybe you have an idea why this isn't working?

And I was wondering if I need to include an 'apply-template' statement
too? e.g. <xsl:apply-templates select="job">

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Alan Searle

Alan Searle

Hi Martin,

I played around with your idea ...

.... adapted it a little ...

<xsl:apply-templates select="/dataroot/job[1]/LangFrom" />

.... and got it working. I'm very pleased.

Indeed, at first it displayed the header multiple times but then I added
'job[1]' to limit it to the first record and it was fine.

Thanks for your tips: You put me on the right track!

Regards,
Alan