XSL / XML: Syntax for calling

Discussion in 'XML' started by Alan Searle, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Alan Searle

    Alan Searle Guest

    I hope someone can help me with this simple question ...

    I have a set of XML files which the users can open and view with the
    formatting set by a single XSL file. This works great.

    In the XSL file I have some processing using javascript. This also
    works fine and, for example, the users can run some simple sorting using
    the following call to javascript (also contained in the XSL):

    Now I would like to pluck out some information from the XML and display
    this in the header and, for this, I have written another little
    javascript program called getheader(). I am trying to include this as a
    simple display (i.e. without any clicking or activation) and am not sure
    of the syntax.

    For example, should it be ...

    This ...

    <B>javascript:getheader()</B>

    .... or this ...

    <B>getheader()</B>

    .... or this ...

    <B>"getheader();"</B>

    .... or something else completely?

    Here I find that IE falls over on the call so I think that I need to be
    sure that I am calling my code correctly before I can start debugging it.

    I am a bit embarrassed asking this simple question: I have found lots of
    great examples on the internet but find that that often don't explain
    how the procedures are called ... and I am a bit of a newbie to
    javascript and XML.

    Anyway, I hope that someone can help me or can point me towards a good
    'HOWTO' or tutorial somewhere?

    Many thanks for your help.

    Regards,
    Alan Searle