    If present then use that XSLT document to display the xml.
    I have no idea how to do this.
    Can anyone help.
    john, Sep 24, 2004

  2. john

    Peter Hansen Guest

    john wrote:
    > I want to do something like this:
    > Store the XSLT document in the client cache if it is not already present.
    > If present then use that XSLT document to display the xml.
    > I have no idea how to do this.

    The question is somewhat vague, but I'll refrain from directing
    you to read a certain essay by ESR for now. ;-)

    Can we assume by "client" you mean a web browser? If so,
    why would you treat the XSLT document any differently from
    any other file your server sends it? Any browser with the
    capability should already be caching XSLT just as it caches
    anything else that doesn't ask not to be cached with the
    various HTTP headers that can do so...

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Sep 24, 2004

  3. john

    john Guest

    Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > john wrote:
    > > I want to do something like this:
    > > Store the XSLT document in the client cache if it is not already present.
    > > If present then use that XSLT document to display the xml.
    > > I have no idea how to do this.

    > The question is somewhat vague, but I'll refrain from directing
    > you to read a certain essay by ESR for now. ;-)
    >
    > Can we assume by "client" you mean a web browser? If so,
    > why would you treat the XSLT document any differently from
    > any other file your server sends it? Any browser with the
    > capability should already be caching XSLT just as it caches
    > anything else that doesn't ask not to be cached with the
    > various HTTP headers that can do so...
    >
    > -Peter

    Ya i mean web browser by client.
    But how can I determine whether the XSLT document is already present
    in client cache??
    john, Sep 25, 2004
  4. john

    Peter Hansen Guest

    john wrote:
    > But how can I determine whether the XSLT document is already present
    > in client cache??

    You cannot. Have you read about how caches function? The
    best you can hope to do is to ask the client to reload
    the document, either by marking it as non-cachable or by
    indicating that it has changed since the last time the
    browser tried to load it, using the last-changed header.

    And even then, the browser is free not to reload it again
    if it doesn't want. Heck, a user can configure the browser
    not even to *check* whether the file should be reloaded,
    in some cases.

    What are you trying to do that you think you need to
    know whether a client cache contains a document?

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Sep 25, 2004