    Any comments, or suggestion very welcome.

    Best regards,

    Naran

    WideBoy, Jan 21, 2008

  2. Might help if you posted a pointer to what you mean by "Garden of Eden
    design pattern", or were otherwise more specific; I'm not familiar with
    that term and would rather not websearch-and-guess.

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Ah. I presume you mean as defined in
    http://developers.sun.com/jsenterprise/nb_enterprise_pack/reference/techart/design_patterns.html

    I don't happen to know of off-the-shelf stylesheets that convert between
    these structuring approaches, but I agree that it looks like stylesheets
    could automate a great deal of that conversion if not all of it.
    Interesting project, if someone has a bit of spare time to play with it.

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 23, 2008
  4. WideBoy

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 21 Jan, 22:58, WideBoy <> wrote:

    > I really need to convert an ugly XML schema to a nice GoE design
    > pattern and I was hoping that perhaps an xslt already exists that
    > might do this for me.

    Get in your time machine.

    Look at the history of B2B or EDI, and how XML with the aid of simple
    XSLT transforms was going to solve every connectivity problem. Once
    data was in XML it could obviously(sic) be translated to any other
    required XML input format.

    Look at 2001 / 2002, and how all these grand schemes had failed.
    Mostly they failed because the transform was indeed possible, but
    there was no manageable or practical way to construct the necessary
    stylesheet. For some cases, it turns out that transformations at the
    level represented by XML and manipulable through XSLT were inadequate
    anyway.

    Consider how this applies to your problem. If you find such a
    transform, or a way of making such transforms up for a generalised
    input domain, then you're the next Page & Brin.

    Andy Dingley, Jan 24, 2008
  5. WideBoy

    WideBoy Guest

    On Jan 23, 4:41 pm, Joseph Kesselman <>
    wrote:
    > Ah. I presume you mean as defined inhttp://developers.sun.com/jsenterprise/nb_enterprise_pack/reference/t...
    >
    > I don't happen to know of off-the-shelf stylesheets that convert between
    > these structuring approaches, but I agree that it looks like stylesheets
    > could automate a great deal of that conversion if not all of it.
    > Interesting project, if someone has a bit of spare time to play with it.
    >
    > --
    > Joe Kesselman / Beware the fury of a patient man. -- John Dryden

    Joe.
    The pattern I am referring to is precisely the one discussed in the
    reference you gave.
    I also learnt from that reference that perhaps NetBeans may solve my
    problem so in the absence of a suitable style sheet this may be the
    most expedient way for me to resolve my little problem.

    Thank you very much.

    Best regards,

    Naran

    WideBoy, Jan 24, 2008