    ....now, is it worth it to learn XSLT? any comments about this
    technology? advantages, cons, etc... in which cases should I prefer it
    over other alternatives? is it better than others? all those things. Thanks.

    Marious Barrier, Oct 12, 2010

  2. On 10/12/2010 2:59 PM, Marious Barrier wrote:
    > ...now, is it worth it to learn XSLT? any comments about this
    > technology? advantages, cons, etc... in which cases should I prefer it
    > over other alternatives? is it better than others? all those things.
    > Thanks.

    Depends on what you want to do. XSLT is a query and reporting language
    -- unlike CSS, it can gather data from all over the document, reorder
    it, completely change its structure, and so on.

    If your goal is just to do value insertion into boilerplate HTML which
    has specific insertion points (which won't be changing, or which will
    always be tagged), XSLT is arguably overkill. If your goal is to do
    formatting of the document and data based on what those values are, XSLT
    lets you write the logic for that at a declarative level rather than a
    procedural level.

    I believe there are some good intro-to-XSLT articles on the
    DeveloperWorks website (http://www.ibm.com/xml). Looking at those will
    give you a better sense of what XSLT looks like and what it can do --
    after which you can decide whether what it does is useful to you.

    --
    Joe Kesselman,

    Joe Kesselman, Oct 13, 2010

  3. Marious Barrier

    John Redmond Guest

    I agree with Joe. Remember that 'T' stands for transformation, meaning
    that the structure, and perhaps content, of the new document will be
    quite different. But XSLT means that you will have to come to terms with
    a declarative style, which can be a new way of thinking.

    My view is that the best excuse for using XML in the first place is that
    you can process it with XSLT!

    John Redmond

    John Redmond, Oct 15, 2010
  4. I should add that, once you get used to it, the
    nonprocedural/declarative structure of XSLT can be a very productive way
    to work.

    --
    Joe Kesselman,

    Joe Kesselman, Oct 22, 2010