[XSLT]Passing values from Javascript to a XSLT variable

Discussion in 'XML' started by Benjamin Hillsley, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have a xml file that catalogs my cd and dvd collection, and I am currently
    writing a web page to access this catalog.

    I would like to include a selection box that lists the CD's by artist, and
    then have the XSLT select only what artist is chosen in the selection box.

    So far I have been able to create the selection box, and populate it with
    the artist's names. I have also created the <XSL:IF> statement that will
    choose the artists records. The problem I have is the javascript I have
    written to grab the selection box's current value cannot write this to an
    XSLT variable to be referenced by the IF statement.

    (1) Is it possible to have XSL directly reference the selection box, or
    another way to have this work?

    (2) Is there a way to strip multiple records of the same artist from the
    selection box, e.g. If I have 2 cd's by Metallica then Metallica appears
    twice in the selection box?

    Thanks

    Ben

    Benjamin Hillsley, Sep 23, 2003

  2. > The problem I have is the javascript I have
    > written to grab the selection box's current value cannot write this to an
    > XSLT variable to be referenced by the IF statement.
    >
    > (1) Is it possible to have XSL directly reference the selection box, or
    > another way to have this work?

    No.

    You have to pass the value as parameter to the transformation. How this is
    done depends on the particular XSLT processor you're using.

    For example with MSXML3 or MSXML4 one uses IXSLProcessor.addParameter()

    =====
    Cheers,

    Dimitre Novatchev.

    Dimitre Novatchev, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Thank you for your answer, and I will now display my ignorance by asking a
    further question...

    I am self taught in XML, XSL, and Javascript, and tend to learn by solving
    these problems that I create myself.

    I am using MSXML3.0 shipped with IE6sp1, and so how would I use this
    IXSLProcessor.addParameter()?

    If you require my source files, please ask and I will post them here.
    Thanks.

    Benjamin Hillsley, Sep 25, 2003
  4. See the example that comes with the MSXML SDK documentation -- locally or
    at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xmlsdk/htm/xml_mth_ac_5pgy.asp?frame=true

    =====
    Cheers,