xslt processor for ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Agnieszka Figiel, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    could you please recommend a xslt processor for ruby? I tried Michael
    Neumann's xslt4r which worked great for simple xsls. Now I'm looking for
    something more up to date - a problem I ran into was when trying to use
    the generate-id function. Any library that would support that?

    Thanks!

    Agnieszka

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Agnieszka Figiel, Dec 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 12/22/05, Agnieszka Figiel <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > could you please recommend a xslt processor for ruby? I tried Michael
    > Neumann's xslt4r which worked great for simple xsls. Now I'm looking for
    > something more up to date - a problem I ran into was when trying to use
    > the generate-id function. Any library that would support that?
    >

    Have you run into these yet?
    (recently updated)
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xslt/

    (way, way old)
    http://www.rubycolor.org/sablot/
    Wilson Bilkovich, Dec 23, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
    > On 12/22/05, Agnieszka Figiel <> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> could you please recommend a xslt processor for ruby? I tried Michael
    >> Neumann's xslt4r which worked great for simple xsls. Now I'm looking for
    >> something more up to date - a problem I ran into was when trying to use
    >> the generate-id function. Any library that would support that?
    >>

    > Have you run into these yet?
    > (recently updated)
    > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-xslt/
    >
    > (way, way old)
    > http://www.rubycolor.org/sablot/


    Thank you. I'm wondering if any of these supports XSLT 2.0?

    --
    Agnieszka Figiel

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Agnieszka Figiel, Dec 23, 2005
    #3
  4. On 12/23/05, Ross Bamford <> wrote:

    > From what I gather XSLT 2.0 is still a recommendation (a strong one, but
    > still),


    I think what you meant to say is that XSLT 2.0 is a "candidate
    recommendation". The next and last step is to become a plain
    "recommendation".

    > and only Saxon has any plans to implement it properly.


    Saxon has already fully implemented XSLT 2.0. See
    http://www.saxonica.com/. Also, you can get a free XSLT 2.0 engine
    from Altova, makers of XML Spy. Both also support XQuery 1.0.

    It would be great if someone would create a Ruby binding to Saxon.
    Until then, your best bet is probably to use Saxon from Ruby by
    executing a shell command with backquotes. For information on how to
    run Saxon from a shell command, see
    http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index/gettingstarted.html.

    --
    R. Mark Volkmann
    Partner, Object Computing, Inc.
    Mark Volkmann, Dec 23, 2005
    #4
  5. On 12/23/05, Ross Bamford <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:44:20 -0000, Mark Volkmann
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 12/23/05, Ross Bamford <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> From what I gather XSLT 2.0 is still a recommendation (a strong one,
    > >> but
    > >> still),

    > >
    > > I think what you meant to say is that XSLT 2.0 is a "candidate
    > > recommendation". The next and last step is to become a plain
    > > "recommendation".
    > >

    >
    > Oops, yes, sorry.
    >
    > >> and only Saxon has any plans to implement it properly.

    > >
    > > Saxon has already fully implemented XSLT 2.0. See
    > > http://www.saxonica.com/. Also, you can get a free XSLT 2.0 engine
    > > from Altova, makers of XML Spy. Both also support XQuery 1.0.

    >
    > I didn't mention XML Spy because I thought it's commercial / Windows only=

    ?

    The thing I'm referring to is called "AltovaXML 2006". You can read
    about it at http://www.altova.com/altovaxml.html. It is free. However,
    I didn't realize it was Windows only. Bummer!

    > > It would be great if someone would create a Ruby binding to Saxon.
    > > Until then, your best bet is probably to use Saxon from Ruby by
    > > executing a shell command with backquotes. For information on how to
    > > run Saxon from a shell command, see
    > > http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index/gettingstarted.html.
    > >

    >
    > Maybe check out
    > http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200110/msg00343.html. I
    > don't know how useful that is, or how 'real world', but it's a possibly
    > interesting idea.


    --
    R. Mark Volkmann
    Partner, Object Computing, Inc.
    Mark Volkmann, Dec 23, 2005
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Collin VanDyck

    How to force use of SAXON xslt processor?

    Collin VanDyck, Apr 2, 2004, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    640
    Collin VanDyck
    Apr 2, 2004
  2. RC
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    640
    Martin Honnen
    Apr 22, 2005
  3. Collin VanDyck
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    664
    Collin VanDyck
    Apr 2, 2004
  4. vaibhav
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,140
    vaibhav
    Aug 14, 2006
  5. brahatha
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    654
Loading...

Share This Page