    you guys.

    Thanks
    Brett
    Brett conklin, Oct 8, 2003

  2. "Brett conklin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I would like to not use the google groups as a crutch in my XSLT
    > journey. What is the best xslt reference out there? Is it a book? Is
    > it a web site? I am finding that I can come up with nearly 2-3
    > questions a day about XSLT. I would like to RTFM instead of bugging
    > you guys.

    Good decision!

    Michael Kay's "XSLT Programmer's Reference" is the undisputed must-have XSLT
    reference book.

    I also bought for my wife Jeni Tennison's book "Beginning XSLT".

    =====
    Cheers,

    Dimitre Novatchev.
    Dimitre Novatchev, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Brett conklin

    Andy Fish Guest

    of course the most definitive reference is the spec at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt

    I can also recommend the Jeni Tennison book. It is more a step-by-step guide
    than a reference, but don't be put off by the title 'beginning xml' - this
    is no dummies guide and has a lot of reference information in it.

    Andy Fish, Oct 8, 2003
  4. "Dimitre Novatchev" <> wrote in message news:<bm03dt$h5rnb$-berlin.de>...
    > "Brett conklin" <> wrote in message
    > > I would like to not use the google groups as a crutch in my XSLT
    > > journey. What is the best xslt reference out there? Is it a book? Is
    > > it a web site? I am finding that I can come up with nearly 2-3
    > > questions a day about XSLT. I would like to RTFM instead of bugging
    > > you guys.

    There are some handy quick reference charts on XSLT and other related
    topics on www.kinetics-corp.com. Select the downloads button and you
    will see the PDF reference sheets.
    Karanjit Siyan, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Brett conklin

    Bob Foster Guest

    Both Michael Kay's and Jeni Tennison's book already mentioned are good
    choices. Jeni recommends Michael's book as a reference, but she is a
    generous person. I would read anything she wrote.

    XSLT is not easy to learn. For starters, there are two languages: the outer
    XML syntax language of templates and constructors, and the inner XPath
    language used for matching, expression evaluation, etc. Perhaps for this
    reason, it is an indisputable fact that, while you can do anything with
    XSLT, most people do not find it obvious how.

    If you want online references, here are some in both categories:

    Microsoft has a decent "just the facts" reference breakdown:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/htm/sdk_intro_6g53.asp

    On this page there are links to both XSLT and XPath references. You'll need
    both.

    Jeni Tennison's XSLT website has lots of "how to" material.

    http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/

    The ultimate "do anything" reference has to be Dimitre Novatchev's work on
    functional programming in XSLT:

    http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/fp/

    This is for people who have a solid background in both functional
    programming and XSLT; not the place to learn either one.

    Finally, comp.text.xml is not the best place to ask XSLT questions. You
    should subscribe to xsl-list

    http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

    At first, just read the traffic going by, esp. Michael Kay's and Jeni
    Tennison's responses.

    Bob Foster
    Bob Foster, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Thanks for all of the advice. I will buy both.

    Thanks
    Brett

    Brett conklin, Oct 8, 2003