xslt / xpath question

Brian Schroeder

Hello Group,

I'm quite new to xml, xpath and xslt so I hope I've not overlooked a
resource where the answer to my question is.

I'll try to give a short example, but in XML everything gets bloated
really fast.

I've got the following situation:

=== a.xml ===
<n categorie="A">
<n categorie="B">
<n categorie="C"/>
</n>
<n categorie="D"/>
</n>
===

I want to transform this via xslt to the following

A->B
A->B->C
A->D

I came up with the following stylesheet

=== test.xsl ===
<xsl:template match="n">
<xsl:value-of select="ancestor::*[@categorie]/attribute::categorie"/>
-&gt; <xsl:value-of select="@categorie"/><xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
<xsl:apply-templates select="n"/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
===

I guess, that "ancestor::*[@categorie]/attribute::categorie" should select
all ancestor, having an attribute categorie, and from those nodes the
attribute. My problem is, that only the first attribute "A" will result
from this question. It seems, that I have to concatenate the values, but
concat did not help.

I would really appreciate help and even more pointers to some online
resource where I can learn about this kind of things. (So far, the best I
found were the w3 recommendations. Most of the other stuff seemed quite
useless.)

Thanks a lot,

Brian

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?R=E9mi_Peyronnet?=

-&gt; <xsl:value-of select="@categorie"/><xsl:text>

You should try this instead :

<xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*[@categorie]">
<xsl:value-of select="@categorie" /><xsl:text>-&gt;</xsl:text>
</xsl:for-each>

Hth

Brian Schroeder

<xsl:value-of
select="ancestor::*[@categorie]/attribute::categorie"/> -&gt;
<xsl:value-of select="@categorie"/><xsl:text>

You should try this instead :

<xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*[@categorie]">
<xsl:value-of select="@categorie" /><xsl:text>-&gt;</xsl:text>
</xsl:for-each>

Hth

Indeed, you helped a lot. Seems like I have been searching in the wrong
direction. Quite interesting that xslt needs a looping construct for
joining a list of results. I would have thought something more
data-centric more in the spirit of a data transformation language.

Thank you a lot,

Brian

Ben Edgington

Brian Schroeder said:
I've got the following situation:

=== a.xml ===
<n categorie="A">
<n categorie="B">
<n categorie="C"/>
</n>
<n categorie="D"/>
</n>
===

I want to transform this via xslt to the following

A->B
A->B->C
A->D

Further to your other replies, rather than use the ancestor axis this
kind of thing is generally done more naturally in XSLT with recursion.

This stylesheet (I know it doesn't look more elegant at first sight,
but recursion is much nicer, honestly) produces the output you desire:

<xsl:eek:utput method="text"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:apply-templates select="n"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="n">

<xsl:param name="prefix"/>

<!-- update the prefix -->
<xsl:variable name="current">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="$prefix">
<xsl:value-of select="concat($prefix,'->',@categorie)"/>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:eek:therwise>
<xsl:value-of select="@categorie"/>
</xsl:eek:therwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

<!-- output the new prefix -->
<xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="$current"/>
<xsl:text>
</xsl:text> <!-- a newline -->

<!-- recursively treat my child-nodes -->
<xsl:apply-templates select="n">
<xsl:with-param name="prefix">
<xsl:value-of select="$current"/>
</xsl:with-param>