XST internal error

ryan.rbw

First off, thanks to all those who have contributed to this group. It
has been a great help for a newbie like me.

I have just completed writing custom IP core for a given project and
after importing the IP using the import wizard in XPS I receive the
following error during synthesis.

INTERNAL_ERROR:Xst:cmain.c:3378:1.25.10.2 - To resolve this error,
please consult the Answers Database and other online resources at
http://support.xilinx.com
ERROR:MDT - xst: application received signal 6.
ERROR:MDT - Aborting XST flow execution!

The above error seems to be caused from "Equivalent Register Removal",
which is set to true.

I have even commented out all of my IP within my top level module and
created a simple counter to see if I can narrow down the issue. Still
I receive the same error.

The documentation online seems to have 1 solution, set a flag in XST
to false.

Two problems I have. One, setting this flag to false seems like a work
around. Two, I would like to know what causes this error

If anyone has ideas, thank you in advance

P.S. For completeness I should also include my hardware and tools set.
I am working on a V5 ML507 and EDK 10.1.03

-RW