XStream: streaming XML transformations

Discussion in 'XML' started by Alain Frisch, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Alain Frisch

    Alain Frisch Guest

    Hello,

    I'd like to announce a new small language for XML transformation, called
    XStream. Transformations written in XStream are compiled into efficient
    XML stream processors: the output is computed and produced while the
    input is being parsed, which makes it possible to run some
    transformations on very big XML documents which could not even fit in
    memory. The programmer does not have to worry about streaming or
    buffering, this is all done automatically.

    Though XStream is mostly intended as a back-end for higher-level
    languages, it is also possible to use it directly. The language
    features ML-like pattern matching and higher-order functions, but no types.

    Web-site: http://yquem.inria.fr/~frisch/xstream

    The reason I'm posting this announce here is that I did a tiny benchmark
    to compare the performance of a transformation written in XStream, and
    the same transformation written in XQuery and XSLT, with several
    XQuery/XSLT engines. You can find the results here:

    http://yquem.inria.fr/~frisch/xstream/bench.html

    As you can see, Saxon/XQuery performs roughly as well as Qizx/open.
    Saxon/XSLT performs better than Xalan C++ and xsltproc (Gnome's
    libxslt), but Xalan's XSLTC is slighlyt better. XStream outperforms all
    these implementations. If someone can propose more efficient versions of
    the XSLT or XQuery scripts, or tell me which configuration settings
    could improve Saxon performance, I'd be happy to run the benchmarks again.

    (Note that I'm not claiming any superiority of XStream over XQuery or
    XSLT implementations: the data models and the languages are too different.)

    Alain Frisch
    Alain Frisch, Jun 28, 2006