XUL behavior in Python via XPCOM, Mozilla

Terry Hancock

I recently saw a claim that Mozilla XUL behaviors (normally
scripted in Javascript) can (or perhaps will) be scriptable
in Python.

Also, "other languages such as Java or Python are supported
through XPCOM", said about Mozilla (from Luxor website).

Yes, I know several ways to *generate* XUL from Python, and
at least one way to use XUL to create interfaces for Python
programs, but in this case, I'm talking about defining
button action behavior in XUL by calling Python scripts.

I know that Javascript is the preferred language, but I've
seen several references to being able to do this in Python,
including a claim that a release was targeted for early
November (2005), to provide this.

Now I can't find it again. Anyway, I was hoping someone
on c.l.p / python.org would have a reliable reference on
this.

Thanks,
Terry

Devan L

Terry said:
[...]

Nufox?
http://trac.nunatak.com.au/projects/nufox

Terry Hancock

Nufox is a server-side tool to *generate* XUL from Python.

Luxor
http://luxor-xul.sourceforge.net/
is a XUL-interpreter written in Python, which
therefore *replaces* Mozilla for XUL-based GUI applications.
It scripts in Python or Java by default.

But then there's the announcement at
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/008865.html
by Brenden Eich that will use the PyXPCOM work by Mark
Hammond to put python scripting capability into the Mozilla
XUL engine, so that you can use
script="application/x-python" in order to do behavior
scripting in Python from within XUL running on top of
Mozilla.

I was also a little foggy about the relationship between
these components (which I hope I've just spelled out for the
record).

Thanks for the replies,
Terry