XUL behavior in Python via XPCOM, Mozilla

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Hancock, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. I recently saw a claim that Mozilla XUL behaviors (normally
    scripted in Javascript) can (or perhaps will) be scriptable
    in Python.

    Also, "other languages such as Java or Python are supported
    through XPCOM", said about Mozilla (from Luxor website).

    Yes, I know several ways to *generate* XUL from Python, and
    at least one way to use XUL to create interfaces for Python
    programs, but in this case, I'm talking about defining
    button action behavior in XUL by calling Python scripts.

    I know that Javascript is the preferred language, but I've
    seen several references to being able to do this in Python,
    including a claim that a release was targeted for early
    November (2005), to provide this.

    Now I can't find it again. Anyway, I was hoping someone
    on c.l.p / python.org would have a reliable reference on
    this.

    Thanks,
    Terry

    --
    Terry Hancock ()

    Terry Hancock, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Terry Hancock

    Devan L Guest

    Terry Hancock wrote:
    > I recently saw a claim that Mozilla XUL behaviors (normally
    > scripted in Javascript) can (or perhaps will) be scriptable
    > in Python.
    >
    > Also, "other languages such as Java or Python are supported
    > through XPCOM", said about Mozilla (from Luxor website).
    >
    > Yes, I know several ways to *generate* XUL from Python, and
    > at least one way to use XUL to create interfaces for Python
    > programs, but in this case, I'm talking about defining
    > button action behavior in XUL by calling Python scripts.
    >
    > I know that Javascript is the preferred language, but I've
    > seen several references to being able to do this in Python,
    > including a claim that a release was targeted for early
    > November (2005), to provide this.
    >
    > Now I can't find it again. Anyway, I was hoping someone
    > on c.l.p / python.org would have a reliable reference on
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Terry
    >
    > --
    > Terry Hancock ()
    > Anansi Spaceworks http://www.AnansiSpaceworks.com

    Nufox?
    http://trac.nunatak.com.au/projects/nufox

    Devan L, Nov 12, 2005

  3. On 12 Nov 2005 12:47:58 -0800
    "Devan L" <> wrote:
    > Nufox?
    > http://trac.nunatak.com.au/projects/nufox

    Nufox is a server-side tool to *generate* XUL from Python.

    Luxor
    http://luxor-xul.sourceforge.net/
    is a XUL-interpreter written in Python, which
    therefore *replaces* Mozilla for XUL-based GUI applications.
    It scripts in Python or Java by default.

    But then there's the announcement at
    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/008865.html
    by Brenden Eich that will use the PyXPCOM work by Mark
    Hammond to put python scripting capability into the Mozilla
    XUL engine, so that you can use
    script="application/x-python" in order to do behavior
    scripting in Python from within XUL running on top of
    Mozilla.

    I was also a little foggy about the relationship between
    these components (which I hope I've just spelled out for the
    record).

    Thanks for the replies,
    Terry

    --