xview

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Adam Majewski, Feb 26, 2011.

  1. Adam Majewski, Feb 26, 2011

  2. Adam Majewski <> writes:

    > I'm trying to run c program using old Xview :
    > http://inls.ucsd.edu/~fisher/Complex/spider.tar.Z
    >
    > I have compiled test program from :
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/files/linuxjournal.com/linuxjournal/
    > articles/020/2035/2035l1.html
    >
    > using
    > gcc sample.c -o sample -I/usr/include/xview -lxview -lolgx -lX11
    >
    > After run it I have error:
    > Segmentation fault
    >
    > Is it possible to run that program ?

    <snip>
    > PS I have 64 bit Linux

    Xview is from the eighties and from what I read it is not the most
    portable code. One site suggests that there will never be a native
    xview library for 64-bit systems[1]. For 64-bit systems, the code has
    to run in 32-bit mode and it's possible the library you have obtained is
    not suitable for your system.

    [1] http://www.physionet.org/physiotools/xview/
    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Feb 26, 2011

  3. In article <ikbnm3$df8$>,
    Adam Majewski <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to run c program using old Xview :
    >http://inls.ucsd.edu/~fisher/Complex/spider.tar.Z

    There's not nearly enough information here to answer your question, but
    I can make a couple of suggestions:

    Compile the program with the -g option. If you have the sources to
    xview, compile them with -g as well. Statically link your application
    if you can.

    Run the program with the gdb debugger:

    $ gdb spider
    (gdb) run

    When the program segfaults, gdb will give you a pretty good idea of
    where it happened and why.

    With luck, the problem will be obvious and easy to fix. Without luck,
    you'll find yourself in a tar pit.

    There are probably other newsgroups better suited to help you with this;
    perhaps even one dedicated to X11 and/or xview.

    I fell compelled to ask, though: why are you doing this? Xview is a
    very very old library. It was written as a portability layer to help
    pre-X11 Sunview programs get ported to X11.

    --
    -Ed Falk,
    http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
    Edward A. Falk, Feb 27, 2011
  4. Dnia Sun, 27 Feb 2011 02:15:19 +0000, Edward A. Falk napisał(a):

    > In article <ikbnm3$df8$>, Adam Majewski
    > <> wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm trying to run c program using old Xview :
    >>http://inls.ucsd.edu/~fisher/Complex/spider.tar.Z

    > There's not nearly enough information here to answer your question, but
    > I can make a couple of suggestions:
    >
    > Compile the program with the -g option. If you have the sources to
    > xview, compile them with -g as well. Statically link your application
    > if you can.
    >
    > Run the program with the gdb debugger:
    >
    > $ gdb spider
    > (gdb) run
    >
    > When the program segfaults, gdb will give you a pretty good idea of
    > where it happened and why.
    >
    > With luck, the problem will be obvious and easy to fix. Without luck,
    > you'll find yourself in a tar pit.
    >
    > There are probably other newsgroups better suited to help you with this;
    > perhaps even one dedicated to X11 and/or xview.
    >
    > I fell compelled to ask, though: why are you doing this? Xview is a
    > very very old library. It was written as a portability layer to help
    > pre-X11 Sunview programs get ported to X11.

    Program is intresting. It's algorithm is unique.
    It's description is here
    http://fraktal.republika.pl/spider.html

    Thx for answer.
    I will work on it.