yacc gurus

Profetas

Hi
I have been trying to add a mid-rule to my yacc grammar but I always get
shift and reduce conflicts

pel-0.0.3.y contains 12 shift/reduce conflicts and 12 reduce/reduce
conflicts.

does anobody know other way? I was using yacc and then I tried bison but
they are the same, I have done what is in the manual but there they have a
very limited mid-rule topic

Thanks The Prophet
__________________

Rouben Rostamian

I have been trying to add a mid-rule to my yacc grammar but I always get
shift and reduce conflicts

You may get better results by asking this in comp.compilers.

Default User

Profetas said:
Hi
I have been trying to add a mid-rule to my yacc grammar but I always get
shift and reduce conflicts

And this is a C question in what way?

Brian Rodenborn

Profetas

And this is a C question in what way?
If you don't know the topic don't even reply, google it

Keith Thompson

Profetas said:
If you don't know the topic don't even reply, google it

His point is that questions about yacc are off-topic here in
comp.lang.c.

Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
but they're not. Since this is a very busy newsgroup, we're a bit
sensitive about topicality.

Either comp.compilers or (for bison) one of the gnu.* newsgroups might
be able to help you.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Dan Pop

In said:
Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
but they're not.

By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

Dan

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

Right. Which is why it could surprise a newbie to discover that
questions about cfront, like questions about yacc, are not topical.
Read for comprehension, Dan. (Didn't someone quite recently warn
you that you were flailing around annoying people, and you ought to
stick to the good C-related answers you are /good/ at providing?)

-Arthur

Rob van der Leek

By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

He did not argued that such logic is valid, he just showed why some
people might consider those questions topical.

Dan Pop

In said:
He did not argued that such logic is valid, he just showed why some
people might consider those questions topical.

Since when "it is not entirely unreasonable" is supposed to mean "it is
illogical"?

Dan

Profetas said:
If you don't know the topic don't even reply, google it

Again I ask, how is this a question about the C language? You asked it,
it ain't up to me to go google anything. You obviously didn't bother
with checking out the newsgroup before posting your question to see
whether it was on-topic or not.

Brian Rodenborn

Dan Pop

Right. Which is why it could surprise a newbie to discover that
questions about cfront, like questions about yacc, are not topical.

In my almost 12 years spent on c.l.c, I have never seen a newbie posting
questions about cfront here. So, apparently, newbies are familiar with
the idea that cfront, despite being written in C and generating C code,
is topical elsewhere.

On an unrelated note, it seems that most of the confusion between C and
C++ is caused by compilers and IDEs that accept both languages, using one
heuristic or another to "guess" the language intended by the user. So,
someone intending to write C code might get the wrong ideas about the
language if his tool is operating in C++ mode. Seen this quite
frequently on c.l.c: people compiling "C" files with the extension cpp.
Read for comprehension, Dan. (Didn't someone quite recently warn

I do. Do *you*?

Dan

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

In my almost 12 years spent on c.l.c, I have never seen a newbie posting
questions about cfront here.

This is because newbies do not know what cfront /is/. Even 12
years ago, I bet there weren't too many newbies using cfront. But
it would not surprise me if a newbie /did/ ask a question about
cfront here, thinking it was topical. I wouldn't be surprised if
it rained tomorrow, either --- even though I've never seen it rain
tomorrow in... well... /more/ than 12 years!

Note for the Pops in the audience: The bit about raining was
intended humorously. It is not a direct analogy. However, just
because newbies don't know cfront exists doesn't necessarily
mean they know all about its topicality here. I rather suspect
the opposite.

-Arthur,
signing off

Keith Thompson

Since when "it is not entirely unreasonable" is supposed to mean "it is
illogical"?

It doesn't, and nobody has said it did.

I believe my original point was sufficiently clear. Based on past
experience, I doubt that I'll be able to explain it to Dan's
satisfaction, so I'm not going to try.

Dan Pop

In said:
It doesn't, and nobody has said it did.

I believe my original point was sufficiently clear.

Indeed. I was pointing out its fallacy, not its lack of clarity.
Based on past
experience, I doubt that I'll be able to explain it to Dan's
satisfaction, so I'm not going to try.

There is nothing needing further explanations. Your point was wrong
and I have explained why.

Dan

Dan Pop

This is because newbies do not know what cfront /is/.

I was, obviously, not talking about C newbies, but about cfront newbies.
Read for comprehension, Arthur.

Dan

Profetas

what a chaos here, 15 posts to decide if it off topic or not. people here
must have a lot of time lol, if some one post a off topic question just
give him/her a link of the "rules" that show that it is off topic.

Mabden

Profetas said:
what a chaos here, 15 posts to decide if it off topic or not. people here
must have a lot of time lol, if some one post a off topic question just
give him/her a link of the "rules" that show that it is off topic.

It's "someone" not "some one".