    very limited mid-rule topic

    Thanks The Prophet
    __________________

    Profetas, Jul 19, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Profetas <> wrote:
    >I have been trying to add a mid-rule to my yacc grammar but I always get
    >shift and reduce conflicts

    You may get better results by asking this in comp.compilers.

    --
    rr

    Rouben Rostamian, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Profetas

    Default User Guest

    Profetas wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have been trying to add a mid-rule to my yacc grammar but I always get
    > shift and reduce conflicts

    And this is a C question in what way?

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Profetas

    Profetas Guest

    >And this is a C question in what way?
    If you don't know the topic don't even reply, google it

    Profetas, Jul 20, 2004
  5. "Profetas" <> writes:
    > >And this is a C question in what way?

    > If you don't know the topic don't even reply, google it

    His point is that questions about yacc are off-topic here in
    comp.lang.c.

    Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
    entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
    but they're not. Since this is a very busy newsgroup, we're a bit
    sensitive about topicality.

    Either comp.compilers or (for bison) one of the gnu.* newsgroups might
    be able to help you.

    Keith Thompson, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Profetas <> spoke thus:

    > does anobody know other way? I was using yacc and then I tried bison but
    > they are the same, I have done what is in the manual but there they have a
    > very limited mid-rule topic

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Profetas

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Keith Thompson <> writes:

    >Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
    >entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
    >but they're not.

    By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
    converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
    entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Jul 20, 2004
  8. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Dan Pop wrote:

    > In <> Keith Thompson <> writes:
    > >Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
    > >entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
    > >but they're not.

    > By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
    > converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
    > entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

    Right. Which is why it could surprise a newbie to discover that
    questions about cfront, like questions about yacc, are not topical.
    Read for comprehension, Dan. (Didn't someone quite recently warn
    you that you were flailing around annoying people, and you ought to
    stick to the good C-related answers you are /good/ at providing?)

    -Arthur

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Jul 20, 2004
  9. In article <cdj8be$t5i$>, Dan Pop wrote:
    > In <> Keith Thompson <> writes:
    >
    >>Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
    >>entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
    >>but they're not.

    > By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
    > converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
    > entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

    He did not argued that such logic is valid, he just showed why some
    people might consider those questions topical.

    --
    Rob van der Leek | rob(at)ricardis(dot)tudelft(dot)nl

    Rob van der Leek, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Profetas

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <-s.tudelft.nl> Rob van der Leek <> writes:

    >In article <cdj8be$t5i$>, Dan Pop wrote:
    >> In <> Keith Thompson <> writes:
    >>
    >>>Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
    >>>entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
    >>>but they're not.

    >> By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
    >> converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
    >> entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

    >He did not argued that such logic is valid, he just showed why some
    >people might consider those questions topical.

    Since when "it is not entirely unreasonable" is supposed to mean "it is
    illogical"?

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Profetas

    Profetas wrote:

    > >And this is a C question in what way?

    > If you don't know the topic don't even reply, google it

    Again I ask, how is this a question about the C language? You asked it,
    it ain't up to me to go google anything. You obviously didn't bother
    with checking out the newsgroup before posting your question to see
    whether it was on-topic or not.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Profetas

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <> writes:

    >On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Dan Pop wrote:
    >>
    >> In <> Keith Thompson <> writes:
    >> >Since yacc is written in C, and generates C code as output, it's not
    >> >entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical --
    >> >but they're not.

    >> By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
    >> converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
    >> entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

    > Right. Which is why it could surprise a newbie to discover that
    >questions about cfront, like questions about yacc, are not topical.

    In my almost 12 years spent on c.l.c, I have never seen a newbie posting
    questions about cfront here. So, apparently, newbies are familiar with
    the idea that cfront, despite being written in C and generating C code,
    is topical elsewhere.

    On an unrelated note, it seems that most of the confusion between C and
    C++ is caused by compilers and IDEs that accept both languages, using one
    heuristic or another to "guess" the language intended by the user. So,
    someone intending to write C code might get the wrong ideas about the
    language if his tool is operating in C++ mode. Seen this quite
    frequently on c.l.c: people compiling "C" files with the extension cpp.

    >Read for comprehension, Dan. (Didn't someone quite recently warn

    I do. Do *you*?

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Jul 20, 2004
  13. [OT] Re: yacc gurus

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Dan Pop wrote:

    > "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <> writes:
    > >>
    > >> By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
    > >> converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
    > >> entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

    > > Right. Which is why it could surprise a newbie to discover that
    > >questions about cfront, like questions about yacc, are not topical.

    > In my almost 12 years spent on c.l.c, I have never seen a newbie posting
    > questions about cfront here.

    This is because newbies do not know what cfront /is/. Even 12
    years ago, I bet there weren't too many newbies using cfront. But
    it would not surprise me if a newbie /did/ ask a question about
    cfront here, thinking it was topical. I wouldn't be surprised if
    it rained tomorrow, either --- even though I've never seen it rain
    tomorrow in... well... /more/ than 12 years!

    Note for the Pops in the audience: The bit about raining was
    intended humorously. It is not a direct analogy. However, just
    because newbies don't know cfront exists doesn't necessarily
    mean they know all about its topicality here. I rather suspect
    the opposite.

    -Arthur,
    signing off

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Jul 20, 2004
  14. (Dan Pop) writes:
    > In <-s.tudelft.nl> Rob van
    > der Leek <> writes:

    > >> By this logic, since cfront (or f2c or p2c or any of the other xxx to C
    > >> converters) is written in C and generates C code as output it's not
    > >> entirely unreasonable to assume that questions about it are topical.

    > >He did not argued that such logic is valid, he just showed why some
    > >people might consider those questions topical.

    > Since when "it is not entirely unreasonable" is supposed to mean "it is
    > illogical"?

    It doesn't, and nobody has said it did.

    I believe my original point was sufficiently clear. Based on past
    experience, I doubt that I'll be able to explain it to Dan's
    satisfaction, so I'm not going to try.

    Keith Thompson, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Profetas

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Keith Thompson <> writes:

    > (Dan Pop) writes:
    >> In <-s.tudelft.nl> Rob van
    >> der Leek <> writes:

    >> >He did not argued that such logic is valid, he just showed why some
    >> >people might consider those questions topical.

    >> Since when "it is not entirely unreasonable" is supposed to mean "it is
    >> illogical"?

    >It doesn't, and nobody has said it did.
    >
    >I believe my original point was sufficiently clear.

    Indeed. I was pointing out its fallacy, not its lack of clarity.

    >Based on past
    >experience, I doubt that I'll be able to explain it to Dan's
    >satisfaction, so I'm not going to try.

    There is nothing needing further explanations. Your point was wrong
    and I have explained why.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Jul 21, 2004
  16. Profetas

    Dan Pop Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: yacc gurus

    In <> "Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <> writes:

    >On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Dan Pop wrote:

    >> > Right. Which is why it could surprise a newbie to discover that
    >> >questions about cfront, like questions about yacc, are not topical.

    >> In my almost 12 years spent on c.l.c, I have never seen a newbie posting
    >> questions about cfront here.

    > This is because newbies do not know what cfront /is/.

    I was, obviously, not talking about C newbies, but about cfront newbies.
    Read for comprehension, Arthur.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Jul 21, 2004
  17. Profetas

    Profetas Guest

    what a chaos here, 15 posts to decide if it off topic or not. people here
    must have a lot of time lol, if some one post a off topic question just
    give him/her a link of the "rules" that show that it is off topic.

    Profetas, Jul 25, 2004
  18. Profetas

    Mabden Guest

    "Profetas" <> wrote in message
    > what a chaos here, 15 posts to decide if it off topic or not. people here
    > must have a lot of time lol, if some one post a off topic question just
    > give him/her a link of the "rules" that show that it is off topic.

    It's "someone" not "some one".

    --
    Mabden

    Mabden, Jul 25, 2004
  19. Profetas

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes:
    >It's "someone" not "some one".

    You should use a comma in front of "not".

    See

    http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

    Use commas to set off phrases that express contrast.

    * Some say the world will end in ice, not fire.

    Stefan Ram, Jul 25, 2004
  20. Profetas

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    -berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

    > "Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> writes:
    >>It's "someone" not "some one".

    > You should use a comma in front of "not".

    And then we'll get to argue whether the comma should go inside or
    outside the quotation marks!
    --
    Ben Pfaff
    email: