    you can see for yourself and hopefully make heads or tails of what I am
    talking about, since I am having a hard time explaining this.

    Thanks!

    Guest, Jun 4, 2004

    rf Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:HNYvc.79599$...
    > I use the yahoo site builder to make my webpages (Its free, puls I got DSL
    > thru SBC who owns yahoo), but they all have a box that says "This file is
    > not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a

    viewable
    > file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands
    > from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder." And when I go to publish my site with the
    > web hosting, yahoo wont do it unless I pay them for a site, which I dont
    > understand, (I give them enough money as it is) espically since I am using
    > geocites (which yahoo owns). Is there another way of publishing the site
    > without having to buy web space?

    The price of your very own web site is, these days, less than the price of a
    quiet dinner for two down at the pub. Spend the money.

    Go over to http://affordablehost.com for some examples.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 4, 2004

  3. wrote:
    > I use the yahoo site builder to make my webpages (Its free, puls I got DSL
    > thru SBC who owns yahoo), but they all have a box that says "This file is
    > not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable
    > file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands
    > from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder." And when I go to publish my site with the
    > web hosting, yahoo wont do it unless I pay them for a site, which I dont
    > understand, (I give them enough money as it is) espically since I am using
    > geocites (which yahoo owns). Is there another way of publishing the site
    > without having to buy web space?
    >
    > If this isnt making any sense, email me and I will give you my website so
    > you can see for yourself and hopefully make heads or tails of what I am
    > talking about, since I am having a hard time explaining this.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'm guessing it's something other than jpg, gif or html file?

    I'm also guessing that yahoo doesnt want you using their bandwidth to
    create a download site. its not bad or wrong, just yahoo dont like it.
    host it at www.oneandone.com where it's very cheap :)

    --
    Neo Human Calibrated for Gratification

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 4, 2004

    C.W. Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:11:35 GMT, <> wrote:

    All the below is strictly my opinions:

    >I use the yahoo site builder to make my webpages (Its free, puls I got DSL
    >thru SBC who owns yahoo),

    My bit of advice, in terms of Yahoo and SBC thoughts is - if wishing
    to have a freebie GeoCities site then sign out a Yahoo profile [do not
    associate this to your SBC account for "ease" in any way shape or
    form] then, once signing out a Yahoo ID click to activate the free
    webspace allotted on GeoCities for that ID name.

    Why do I advise to *not* associate a Yahoo ID name to the SBC account?
    Because the Yahoo ID name and GeoCities site space is free - with or
    without a SBC ISP account; _but_ if you decide to change ISPs, but
    want to keep your freebie Yahoo stuff [ID & profile plus any free side
    perks offered or used by that ID within Yahoo's network: geocities
    space already set up and being promoted somehow, free level breifcase,
    free mail account, created or joined any Yahoo Groups using that
    particular ID name, et al] then you have to pay a monthly fee to SBC
    to "keep those Yahoo freebies" functioning -- which I think runs
    around $9 or so a month.

    >but they all have a box that says "This file is
    >not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable
    >file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands
    >from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder."

    Don't use the SiteBuilder editor or the other online ones offered by
    GeoCities. Granted they may share some ease but also easily the most
    garbled html document also that can be MORE confusing to someone
    knowing little to no HTML than if that same person started to learn
    some HTML from scratch.

    Heck, regardless of what HTML editor you use - provided by a site
    hosting service or one you buy or downloaded - learn some HTML to help
    you understand better what the program is doing or what is not needed
    [the editor just getting carried away type thing]. This way, when
    someone points out an HTML - you also have a little better idea than
    "uhm, I just clicked an icon and that's what the editor put in ..."

    Use their basic generic "Advance Editor" offered - it is plain field
    for you to type or cut and paste the content into so you will need to
    add any HTML manually ... but far less headaches than the other
    editors have given folks.

    > And when I go to publish my site with the
    >web hosting, yahoo wont do it unless I pay them for a site, which I dont
    >understand, (I give them enough money as it is) espically since I am using
    >geocites (which yahoo owns). Is there another way of publishing the site
    >without having to buy web space?

    Read above where I shared how you can get a freebie GeoCities account
    without paying - regardless if you stay with SBC for years or not.

    Carol

    C.W., Jun 4, 2004