Yahoo-Type Directory Structure?

Simon Harris

It looks like its looping through the categories, then within each loop,
displaying the sub-categories within the given category.

Loops within loops....makes me cringe :)

Simon.

clintonG

Mouse over the categories and sub-categories and read the query
string value CatID. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the
out of order values and how they would be used relationally. Drill
down into the sub-categories and it gets even more convoluted.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

Simon Harris said:
It looks like its looping through the categories, then within each loop,
displaying the sub-categories within the given category.

Loops within loops....makes me cringe :)

Simon.

clintonG said:
I'm hoping to get some references to articles or documentation
to get some insight into how to develop a 'directory' like this
example [1].

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

[1] http://demos.deloittes.net/directorydotnet/frmDefault.aspx

Simon Harris

Mouse over the categories and sub-categories and read the query
string value CatID. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the
out of order values and how they would be used relationally. Drill
down into the sub-categories and it gets even more convoluted.

Hi Clinton,

Ok, I moused over the links, the ID of the link is different for each
link/category. I dont see this as being 'convoluted'. It's just a relational
database, surely? Unless i'm missing something?

Simon.

clintonG

Try to make sense of the value assigned to the query strings.
They are no doubt processed as strings but if generated automatically
they would be generated as integers.

If they are generated as integeres the actual values assigned to
categories and sub-category query string values do not relate to
one another in any logical sense.

A well designed hierarchical structure must be generated using
logical constructs in code. Not doing so as the example I am using
for discussion is 'not' and can 'not' be considered an optimal design
regardles of what appears in the display and I conclude this after
evaluating the query string values which follow no sense of order
or logical relationship to one another.

I'm looking for some help from somebody who knows how to
design algorythms and most specifically an algorythm than
will generated a hierarchical relational model that maps to the
drill-down directory schema. I'm hoping to find this documented
somewhere as many algorythms can be found but referring to
a formal construct using colloquial terminology such as
'Yahoo-like menu' is not sufficicently descriptive to use Google to
find a computer science dissertation or a mathematician who has
documented the algorythm that a programming language can then
use to generate a hierarchical relational model.

The developers from Delloitte seem to have developed a solution
but I prefer not to attempt to waste time analyzing what I am already
convinced is a flawed model that appears to produce desired results
which if implemented would likely fail at a critical juncture or impose
needless costs to maintain when needing to scale up and out.

--
[...]

What ever.