YAPV done!

Gavin Kistner

http://phrogz.net/ProgrammingRuby/
is 'done' [1].

What does it offer you versus other, existing online versions of the book?

(*) The framed version keeps synchronized a frame for the Wiki pages
"ProgrammingRubyTwo", which hold various corrections and updated
information for 1.8.1 [2]

(*) Removal of the words "on page xxx" and laboriously replacing them
all with real hyperlinks to the content being referenced.

(*) A really comprehensive table of contents, including splitting the
chapters out into their correct sectioning. [3]

(*) A more pleasing display style, especially for the reference library
(IMHO)

(*) A little widget for breaking the content out of the frameset, and
putting it back in. (In Safari/Mozilla this is in the upper right of the
content pages...in IE it's at the very bottom of the content.)

(*) HTML4 valid markup ;)

(*) 20+ missing pages from the key "The Ruby Language" section.

What doesn't it offer?

(*) New content. Updates are framed next to the old content, but this is
still basically the same source as the various 0.4 versions out there.

(*) The Figures. Again...this is drawn from the same XML source, and the
various Figures referenced throughout the book aren't publicly available
other than in the print copy.

Enjoy, and please let me know if you have stylystic improvements you'd
like to see, or additional features that I can derive from the existing
content.

--
(-, /\ \/ / /\/

[1] I still plan on adding a good index, as well as duplicating the
quick-links to methods at the top of each class.

[2] Please help contribute! If you know of something that's new to 1.8
that's not in the Book, please edit the associated Wiki page so all can
benefit.

[3] For the sake of your speedy browsing and my server, PLEASE set your
browser to the default cache setting (for IEWin, it should be
"Automatically"). Without this, some browsers (IEWin) will hit the
server for EACH image referenced, EVERY time. Over 1,000 hits just to
load the nav, as it foolishly ensures the image is up-to-date each time.

Bermejo, Rodrigo

(*) Removal of the words "on page xxx" and laboriously replacing them
all with real hyperlinks to the content being referenced.

Great !!

Nice work, Gavin ....Thanks.

Gavin said:
[...]

Mauricio Fernández

Gavin said:

That sound you hear is me (new to Ruby) banging my head against the wall
because about 12 hours ago I bit the bullet and printed out the old
version on my sloooooow (single-side only) printer.

That might well have been more expensive than buying the real book and
the end result won't be nearly as nice :-(

--
_ _
| |__ __ _| |_ ___ _ __ ___ __ _ _ __
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

-- Pablo Picasso

Jim Hill

Mauricio said:
Gavin said:

That sound you hear is me (new to Ruby) banging my head against the wall
because about 12 hours ago I bit the bullet and printed out the old
version on my sloooooow (single-side only) printer.

That might well have been more expensive than buying the real book and
the end result won't be nearly as nice :-(

Paper's cheap, time isn't. You're right that the printed/bound book
would be much nicer (I'm assuming it doesn't have "Figure not available"
sprinkled liberally throughout). Ah, well...time to schlep the files
over to my buddy's place (he has a color laser that does duplex) and
take a few dollars' value off the "things you owe me for" ledger.

Neat language so far. I look forward to kicking its tires.

Jim, who has a bad habit of "collecting" programming languages

Tim Hunter

Paper's cheap, time isn't. You're right that the printed/bound book
would be much nicer (I'm assuming it doesn't have "Figure not available"
sprinkled liberally throughout). Ah, well...time to schlep the files
over to my buddy's place (he has a color laser that does duplex) and
take a few dollars' value off the "things you owe me for" ledger.

Let me take this opportunity to gently remind everybody that the best
way to encourage book publishers to publish new books about Ruby or
new editions of existing books about Ruby is by spending money on
books about Ruby at our favorite book store or web site.

Now back to our regular programming...

Mike Stok

Paper's cheap, time isn't. You're right that the printed/bound book
would be much nicer (I'm assuming it doesn't have "Figure not available"
sprinkled liberally throughout). Ah, well...time to schlep the files
over to my buddy's place (he has a color laser that does duplex) and
take a few dollars' value off the "things you owe me for" ledger.

Places like Amazon have Programming Ruby "Used & new from $16.50" if a
properly bound (and slightly old) paper version is useful to you.

Mike

Jim Hill

Tim said:
Let me take this opportunity to gently remind everybody that the best
way to encourage book publishers to publish new books about Ruby or
new editions of existing books about Ruby is by spending money on
books about Ruby at our favorite book store or web site.

<blush>

I _did_ order Slagell's book after skimming the first few chapters via
O'Reilly's Safari page (which my employer is decent enough to have a
site license for). If the dudes behind PR would bang out another
edition I'd be on it like cat hair on carpet.

Jim

Gavin Kistner

Gavin said:
[1] I still plan on adding a good index, as well as duplicating the
quick-links to methods at the top of each class.

FYI, I've added an index to the site now. (Click on 'INDEX >' at the top
of the table of contents.) Unfortunately it's a bit slow to load: it's
110k of HTML comprising over 1,500 entries. It's also rather
naive...it's just a re-ordering of the TOC, and inclusion of all method