Yes I Still Want To Be Doing This at 56

Mel Smith

Hi:

I *am* doing it (i.e. coding in a C-Based language, building CGI
servers, running Apache from my home ofice, web mastering 3 web sites) ---
and am 80.5 yo :((

Top-posting is anotrher of my growing fault lines.

But, I won't be around much longer ...

-Mel

Brian

Lynn McGuire said:
Yes I Still Want To Be Doing This at 56
http://thecodist.com/article/yes_i_still_want_to_be_doing_this_at_56

Me too at 53. Or 83.

Lynn

When home computer become available there was more of a need to program as
there was a general lack of problems. Then when shareware and freeware
programs were available once again there was less need to write a program
for the computer as someone had already done it for you. It seems that only
due to personal needs that you need to write a computer program. But there
is still some enjoyment of writing your own program and being able to
modify it. I would never want to be under pressure at my age to write a
program within a set time.

Nick Keighley

When home computer become available there was more of a need to program as
there was a general lack of problems.

a lack of problems?
Then when shareware and freeware
programs were available once again there was less need to write a program
for the computer as someone had already done it for you. It seems that only
due to personal needs that you need to write a computer program.

I get paid to do it, so I guess someone disagrees with you!
But there
is still some enjoyment of writing your own program and being able to
modify it. I would never want to be under pressure at my age to write a
program within a set time.

at the very least there will always be scripts and things, little jobs
that need automating

Brian

OK that should read 'programs'
a lack of problems?

I get paid to do it, so I guess someone disagrees with you!

Example: If I want a word processor I don't need to write one as there are
plenty to download off the internet

Jorgen Grahn

Example: If I want a word processor I don't need to write one as there are
plenty to download off the internet

Those word processors aren't writing themselves -- real people like us
do it. Either as volunteers, or they get paid.

I may be missing the point of this discussion, if there is one ... but
even if you write for "personal needs", that doesn't imply that the
result is only useful to you.

/Jorgen

Brian

Jorgen Grahn said:
Those word processors aren't writing themselves -- real people like us
do it. Either as volunteers, or they get paid.

I may be missing the point of this discussion, if there is one ... but
even if you write for "personal needs", that doesn't imply that the
result is only useful to you.

/Jorgen

It's usually how shareware starts. I wrote a program for myself as I can't
find a program on the internet that exactly fills my needs. Then I think
that my program maybe useful to other people that have similar needs so I
make it available as shareware or freeware.
One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time
it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I
need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate
what date the voucher expires on.

Jorgen Grahn

It's usually how shareware starts. I wrote a program for myself as I can't
find a program on the internet that exactly fills my needs. Then I think
that my program maybe useful to other people that have similar needs so I
make it available as shareware or freeware.

Or free software. The term "freeware" pretty much fell out of use in
the 1990s when people discovered there were standard licenses you
could apply, and users wanted to know what their rights were.

(Haven't seen the "shareware" term much recently either, but perhaps
it survives on Windows.)
One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time
it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I
need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate
what date the voucher expires on.

Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem
for which no standard software exists.

Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):

tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'
Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012

/Jorgen

Brian

Jorgen Grahn said:
Or free software. The term "freeware" pretty much fell out of use in
the 1990s when people discovered there were standard licenses you
could apply, and users wanted to know what their rights were.

(Haven't seen the "shareware" term much recently either, but perhaps
it survives on Windows.)

Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem
for which no standard software exists.

Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):

tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'
Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012

/Jorgen

I also came across a date calculator on the internet but you need to use it
on the internet.

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/time/date-day.php

peter koch

On Thu, 2012-10-11, Brian wrote:
[snip]
One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time
it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I
need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate
what date the voucher expires on.

Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem

for which no standard software exists.

Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):

tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'

Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012
Or - as is often the case by using boost.

/Peter

Brian

Jorgen Grahn said:
On Thu, 2012-10-11, Brian wrote:
[snip]

[I have manually restored the single line breaks below. Please fix
your news reader.]
Or - as is often the case by using boost.

Yes, but we were being offtopic and talked about existing utilities,
not libraries.

/Jorgen

The news reader I am using is the app for the iPad and there is no way of
fixing it apart from updates now and then. At this stage there is only one
newsreader app for the iPad.

Tobias Müller

Brian said:
The news reader I am using is the app for the iPad and there is no way of
fixing it apart from updates now and then. At this stage there is only one
newsreader app for the iPad.

I use NewsTap on my iPhone. It is also available on the iPad AFAIK.
It's not free but worth the money. Actually there's also a free version
with some restrictions.

Tobi

Jorgen Grahn

I use NewsTap on my iPhone. It is also available on the iPad AFAIK.
It's not free but worth the money. Actually there's also a free version
with some restrictions.

And your posting is flawless.
But Brian (with the double-spaced lines) uses it too:

I don't want to go into this in too much detail, but as far as I'm
concerned the problem is on his side.

/Jorgen

Tobias Müller

Jorgen Grahn said:
And your posting is flawless.
But Brian (with the double-spaced lines) uses it too:

That's one limitation of this app. You cannot show the headers.

But actually I didn't even consider he could already use the same app,
regarding his post. For me it works great, especially for replies/quotes.
It automatically removes banners, reflows quotes if necessary, and
optionally removes inner quotes.
I don't want to go into this in too much detail,

Yes, we're getting off topic.
but as far as I'm concerned the problem is on his side.

A bug in the iPad version maybe... I cannot imagine him doing this
intentionally.

Tobi

Brian

Jorgen Grahn said:
And your posting is flawless.
But Brian (with the double-spaced lines) uses it too:

I don't want to go into this in too much detail, but as far as I'm
concerned the problem is on his side.

/Jorgen

I am currently using NewTap 3.5.5
Copying text into Microsoft Word first must have caused this problem.

Brian

Tobias Müller said:
That's one limitation of this app. You cannot show the headers.

But actually I didn't even consider he could already use the same app,
regarding his post. For me it works great, especially for replies/quotes.
It automatically removes banners, reflows quotes if necessary, and
optionally removes inner quotes.

Yes, we're getting off topic.

A bug in the iPad version maybe... I cannot imagine him doing this
intentionally.

Tobi

I think this might occurred when I copied something into Microsoft Word
then pasted it to newsgroup program. For some reason Microsoft word double
spaces lines of text. I hope to find out how to fix this problem.

Tobias Müller

Brian said:
I think this might occurred when I copied something into Microsoft Word
then pasted it to newsgroup program. For some reason Microsoft word double
spaces lines of text. I hope to find out how to fix this problem.

Maybe it's a problem with Windows vs Unix line endings in NewsTap.

Why are you copying via MS Word anyway?

Tobi