Yes I Still Want To Be Doing This at 56

Discussion in 'C++' started by Lynn McGuire, Oct 8, 2012.

  1. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    Lynn McGuire, Oct 8, 2012

  2. Lynn McGuire

    Mel Smith Guest

    Hi:

    I *am* doing it (i.e. coding in a C-Based language, building CGI
    servers, running Apache from my home ofice, web mastering 3 web sites) ---
    and am 80.5 yo :((

    Top-posting is anotrher of my growing fault lines.

    But, I won't be around much longer ...

    -Mel

    Mel Smith, Oct 8, 2012

  3. Lynn McGuire

    red floyd Guest

    On 10/8/2012 2:17 PM, Mel Smith wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I *am* doing it (i.e. coding in a C-Based language, building CGI
    > servers, running Apache from my home ofice, web mastering 3 web sites) ---
    > and am 80.5 yo :((
    >
    > Top-posting is anotrher of my growing fault lines.
    >
    > But, I won't be around much longer ...
    >
    > -Mel

    Are you *THE* Mel?

    http://catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html
    red floyd, Oct 8, 2012
  4. Lynn McGuire

    red floyd Guest

    On 10/8/2012 2:44 PM, red floyd wrote:
    > On 10/8/2012 2:17 PM, Mel Smith wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I *am* doing it (i.e. coding in a C-Based language, building CGI
    >> servers, running Apache from my home ofice, web mastering 3 web sites)
    >> ---
    >> and am 80.5 yo :((
    >>
    >> Top-posting is anotrher of my growing fault lines.
    >>
    >> But, I won't be around much longer ...
    >>
    >> -Mel

    > Are you *THE* Mel?
    >
    > http://catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html

    Never mind. I never read the footnotes to that story...
    red floyd, Oct 8, 2012
  5. Lynn McGuire

    Brian Guest

    Lynn McGuire <> wrote:
    > Yes I Still Want To Be Doing This at 56
    > http://thecodist.com/article/yes_i_still_want_to_be_doing_this_at_56
    >
    > Me too at 53. Or 83.
    >
    > Lynn

    When home computer become available there was more of a need to program as
    there was a general lack of problems. Then when shareware and freeware
    programs were available once again there was less need to write a program
    for the computer as someone had already done it for you. It seems that only
    due to personal needs that you need to write a computer program. But there
    is still some enjoyment of writing your own program and being able to
    modify it. I would never want to be under pressure at my age to write a
    program within a set time.

    --
    Regards Brian
    Brian, Oct 9, 2012
  6. On Oct 9, 7:29 am, Brian <> wrote:

    > When home computer become available there was more of a need to program as
    > there was a general lack of problems.

    a lack of problems?

    > Then when shareware and freeware
    > programs were available once again there was less need to write a program
    > for the computer as someone had already done it for you. It seems that only
    > due to personal needs that you need to write a computer program.

    I get paid to do it, so I guess someone disagrees with you!

    > But there
    > is still some enjoyment of writing your own program and being able to
    > modify it. I would never want to be under pressure at my age to write a
    > program within a set time.

    at the very least there will always be scripts and things, little jobs
    that need automating
    Nick Keighley, Oct 10, 2012
  7. Lynn McGuire

    Brian Guest

    Nick Keighley <> wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 7:29 am, Brian <> wrote:
    >
    >> When home computer become available there was more of a need to program as
    >> there was a general lack of problems.

    OK that should read 'programs'

    > a lack of problems?
    >
    >> Then when shareware and freeware
    >> programs were available once again there was less need to write a program
    >> for the computer as someone had already done it for you. It seems that only
    >> due to personal needs that you need to write a computer program.

    > I get paid to do it, so I guess someone disagrees with you!

    Example: If I want a word processor I don't need to write one as there are
    plenty to download off the internet

    --
    Regards Brian
    Brian, Oct 10, 2012
  8. Lynn McGuire

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2012-10-10, Brian wrote:
    > Nick Keighley <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 9, 7:29 am, Brian <> wrote:

    >>> Then when shareware and freeware
    >>> programs were available once again there was less need to write a program
    >>> for the computer as someone had already done it for you. It seems that only
    >>> due to personal needs that you need to write a computer program.

    >> I get paid to do it, so I guess someone disagrees with you!

    > Example: If I want a word processor I don't need to write one as there are
    > plenty to download off the internet

    Those word processors aren't writing themselves -- real people like us
    do it. Either as volunteers, or they get paid.

    I may be missing the point of this discussion, if there is one ... but
    even if you write for "personal needs", that doesn't imply that the
    result is only useful to you.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Oct 10, 2012
  9. Lynn McGuire

    Brian Guest

    Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 2012-10-10, Brian wrote:
    >> Nick Keighley <> wrote:

    >>> I get paid to do it, so I guess someone disagrees with you!

    >> Example: If I want a word processor I don't need to write one as there are
    >> plenty to download off the internet

    > Those word processors aren't writing themselves -- real people like us
    > do it. Either as volunteers, or they get paid.
    >
    > I may be missing the point of this discussion, if there is one ... but
    > even if you write for "personal needs", that doesn't imply that the
    > result is only useful to you.
    >
    > /Jorgen

    It's usually how shareware starts. I wrote a program for myself as I can't
    find a program on the internet that exactly fills my needs. Then I think
    that my program maybe useful to other people that have similar needs so I
    make it available as shareware or freeware.
    One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time
    it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I
    need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate
    what date the voucher expires on.

    --
    Regards Brian
    Brian, Oct 11, 2012
  10. Lynn McGuire

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Thu, 2012-10-11, Brian wrote:
    > Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:

    >>> Example: If I want a word processor I don't need to write one as there are
    >>> plenty to download off the internet

    >> Those word processors aren't writing themselves -- real people like us
    >> do it. Either as volunteers, or they get paid.
    >>
    >> I may be missing the point of this discussion, if there is one ... but
    >> even if you write for "personal needs", that doesn't imply that the
    >> result is only useful to you.
    >>
    >> /Jorgen

    > It's usually how shareware starts. I wrote a program for myself as I can't
    > find a program on the internet that exactly fills my needs. Then I think
    > that my program maybe useful to other people that have similar needs so I
    > make it available as shareware or freeware.

    Or free software. The term "freeware" pretty much fell out of use in
    the 1990s when people discovered there were standard licenses you
    could apply, and users wanted to know what their rights were.

    (Haven't seen the "shareware" term much recently either, but perhaps
    it survives on Windows.)

    > One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time
    > it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I
    > need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate
    > what date the voucher expires on.

    Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem
    for which no standard software exists.

    Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):

    tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'
    Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Oct 11, 2012
  11. Lynn McGuire

    Brian Guest

    Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2012-10-11, Brian wrote:
    >> Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:

    >>> Those word processors aren't writing themselves -- real people like us
    >>> do it. Either as volunteers, or they get paid.
    >>>
    >>> I may be missing the point of this discussion, if there is one ... but
    >>> even if you write for "personal needs", that doesn't imply that the
    >>> result is only useful to you.
    >>>
    >>> /Jorgen

    >> It's usually how shareware starts. I wrote a program for myself as I can't
    >> find a program on the internet that exactly fills my needs. Then I think
    >> that my program maybe useful to other people that have similar needs so I
    >> make it available as shareware or freeware.

    > Or free software. The term "freeware" pretty much fell out of use in
    > the 1990s when people discovered there were standard licenses you
    > could apply, and users wanted to know what their rights were.
    >
    > (Haven't seen the "shareware" term much recently either, but perhaps
    > it survives on Windows.)
    >
    >> One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time
    >> it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I
    >> need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate
    >> what date the voucher expires on.

    > Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem
    > for which no standard software exists.
    >
    > Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):
    >
    > tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'
    > Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012
    >
    > /Jorgen

    I also came across a date calculator on the internet but you need to use it
    on the internet.

    http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/time/date-day.php

    --
    Regards Brian
    Brian, Oct 11, 2012
  12. Lynn McGuire

    peter koch Guest

    On Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:40:00 PM UTC+2, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    > On Thu, 2012-10-11, Brian wrote:

    [snip]

    > > One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time

    > > it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I

    > > need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate

    > > what date the voucher expires on.

    > Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem
    >
    > for which no standard software exists.
    >

    > Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):
    >

    > tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'
    >
    > Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012

    Or - as is often the case by using boost.

    /Peter
    peter koch, Oct 11, 2012
  13. Lynn McGuire

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Thu, 2012-10-11, peter koch wrote:
    > On Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:40:00 PM UTC+2, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2012-10-11, Brian wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]

    [I have manually restored the single line breaks below. Please fix
    your news reader.]

    >> > One example is that I have a voucher that expires in 30 days from the time
    >> > it was issued and I need to calculate what date it will expire on. As I
    >> > need to do this often I would consider writing a utility that can calculate
    >> > what date the voucher expires on.

    >> Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem
    >> for which no standard software exists.
    >>
    >> Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):
    >>
    >> tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'
    >> Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012

    > Or - as is often the case by using boost.

    Yes, but we were being offtopic and talked about existing utilities,
    not libraries.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Oct 11, 2012
  14. Lynn McGuire

    Brian Guest

    Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2012-10-11, peter koch wrote:
    >> On Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:40:00 PM UTC+2, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 2012-10-11, Brian wrote:
    >>>

    >> [snip]

    > [I have manually restored the single line breaks below. Please fix
    > your news reader.]

    >>> Good example. Once you start looking, there *are* lots of small problem
    >>> for which no standard software exists.
    >>>
    >>> Although in this case it does. With Gnu date(1):
    >>>
    >>> tuva:~> date --date '2012-10-11 + 30 days'
    >>> Sat Nov 10 00:00:00 CET 2012

    >> Or - as is often the case by using boost.

    > Yes, but we were being offtopic and talked about existing utilities,
    > not libraries.
    >
    > /Jorgen

    The news reader I am using is the app for the iPad and there is no way of
    fixing it apart from updates now and then. At this stage there is only one
    newsreader app for the iPad.

    --
    Regards Brian
    Brian, Oct 12, 2012
  15. Brian <> wrote:
    > The news reader I am using is the app for the iPad and there is no way of
    > fixing it apart from updates now and then. At this stage there is only one
    > newsreader app for the iPad.

    I use NewsTap on my iPhone. It is also available on the iPad AFAIK.
    It's not free but worth the money. Actually there's also a free version
    with some restrictions.

    Tobi
    Tobias Müller, Oct 12, 2012
  16. Lynn McGuire

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Fri, 2012-10-12, Tobias Müller wrote:
    > Brian <> wrote:
    >> The news reader I am using is the app for the iPad and there is no way of
    >> fixing it apart from updates now and then. At this stage there is only one
    >> newsreader app for the iPad.

    > I use NewsTap on my iPhone. It is also available on the iPad AFAIK.
    > It's not free but worth the money. Actually there's also a free version
    > with some restrictions.

    And your posting is flawless.
    But Brian (with the double-spaced lines) uses it too:

    I don't want to go into this in too much detail, but as far as I'm
    concerned the problem is on his side.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Oct 14, 2012
  17. Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 2012-10-12, Tobias Müller wrote:
    >> I use NewsTap on my iPhone. It is also available on the iPad AFAIK.
    >> It's not free but worth the money. Actually there's also a free version
    >> with some restrictions.

    > And your posting is flawless.
    > But Brian (with the double-spaced lines) uses it too:

    That's one limitation of this app. You cannot show the headers.

    But actually I didn't even consider he could already use the same app,
    regarding his post. For me it works great, especially for replies/quotes.
    It automatically removes banners, reflows quotes if necessary, and
    optionally removes inner quotes.

    > I don't want to go into this in too much detail,

    Yes, we're getting off topic.

    > but as far as I'm concerned the problem is on his side.

    A bug in the iPad version maybe... I cannot imagine him doing this
    intentionally.

    Tobi
    Tobias Müller, Oct 14, 2012
  18. Lynn McGuire

    Brian Guest

    Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 2012-10-12, Tobias Müller wrote:
    >> Brian <> wrote:
    >>> The news reader I am using is the app for the iPad and there is no way of
    >>> fixing it apart from updates now and then. At this stage there is only one
    >>> newsreader app for the iPad.

    >> I use NewsTap on my iPhone. It is also available on the iPad AFAIK.
    >> It's not free but worth the money. Actually there's also a free version
    >> with some restrictions.

    > And your posting is flawless.
    > But Brian (with the double-spaced lines) uses it too:

    > I don't want to go into this in too much detail, but as far as I'm
    > concerned the problem is on his side.
    >
    > /Jorgen

    I am currently using NewTap 3.5.5
    Copying text into Microsoft Word first must have caused this problem.

    --
    Regards Brian
    Brian, Oct 14, 2012
  19. Lynn McGuire

    Brian Guest

    Tobias Müller <> wrote:
    > Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 2012-10-12, Tobias Müller wrote:
    >>> I use NewsTap on my iPhone. It is also available on the iPad AFAIK.
    >>> It's not free but worth the money. Actually there's also a free version
    >>> with some restrictions.

    >> And your posting is flawless.
    >> But Brian (with the double-spaced lines) uses it too:

    > That's one limitation of this app. You cannot show the headers.
    >
    > But actually I didn't even consider he could already use the same app,
    > regarding his post. For me it works great, especially for replies/quotes.
    > It automatically removes banners, reflows quotes if necessary, and
    > optionally removes inner quotes.
    >
    >> I don't want to go into this in too much detail,

    > Yes, we're getting off topic.
    >
    >> but as far as I'm concerned the problem is on his side.

    > A bug in the iPad version maybe... I cannot imagine him doing this
    > intentionally.
    >
    > Tobi

    I think this might occurred when I copied something into Microsoft Word
    then pasted it to newsgroup program. For some reason Microsoft word double
    spaces lines of text. I hope to find out how to fix this problem.

    --
    Regards Brian
    Brian, Oct 14, 2012
  20. Brian <> wrote:
    > I think this might occurred when I copied something into Microsoft Word
    > then pasted it to newsgroup program. For some reason Microsoft word double
    > spaces lines of text. I hope to find out how to fix this problem.

    Maybe it's a problem with Windows vs Unix line endings in NewsTap.

    Why are you copying via MS Word anyway?

    Tobi
    Tobias Müller, Oct 14, 2012