Yet Another BLT/TkInter Install Question

Noelle QUEMENER

I have just installed BLT: I effectively had some problems - the same you had.
I found this:

Python GUI Setup

Here is the procedure I used to get "Fourier" working on Windows and Linux.

I wanted to use BLT for xy-plotting, partly because we used it with tcl in the sss project, and partly because I couldn't understand how to position the plots in wxPython (the
main alternative).

The only interface to BLT from Python seemed to be through Pmw (now it is claimed that you can get to BLT directly, but I haven't figured out how). So, I

* Downloaded the most recent version of Python (2.2) into C:\Python22 (Windows)
* Downloaded the required packages (Numeric, FFT, etc.) and noticed that they installed into C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages
* Downloaded the corresponding release of Pmw into C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages

On the Debian Linux Windows system in B3 set up by Dan Freedman, this sufficed. On the CCMR RedHat system I've yet to get it to work. On Windows, I had to install the current
version of BLT. Following instructions from http://www.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/Pmw.Blt/doc/links.html, as suggested by Peter Brown at (e-mail address removed), I

* installed BLT into C:/Python22 using its installer: this made bin, include, and lib subdirectories of C:/Python22/tcl
* copied the directory C:/Python22/tcl/lib/blt2.4 into C:/Python22/tcl/tcl8.3
* copied the BLT DLL's into my PATH, specifically C:\Program Files\Tcl\bin.

Now my scripts worked on Windows. I now wished to roll them into a binary form that I could distribute. Chris Myers advised me to try the more advanced "Freeze" methods
developed at http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html. This took some time, until I read the documentation: on the first page of the Pmw documentation, it says that freezing
is tricky, and gives a link to doc/dynamicloader.html.

* Downloaded the installer and installed it in the Fourier directory (Linux) or into C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages (Windows)
* Make directory FourierFreeze in that same directory
* Make Pmw.py in that directory: python ..\Pmw\Pmw_0_8_5\bin\bundlepmw.py ..\Pmw\Pmw_0_8_5\lib
* copy Fourier.py, PmwBlt.py and PmwColor.py into FourierFreeze (instructions from dynamicloader?)
* MAKE SURE for Linux that you remove all ^M's from the file. Also, the freeze program doesn't like tabs mixed with spaces, I think. The error message is inscrutable
* python ../Installer/Makespec.py --onefile --tk --debug --noconsole Fourier.py
* python ../Installer/Build.py Fourier.spec

AND IT WORKS!!!
adapt Python22 to your version (I personnally have Python 2.3.5 and blt24z-for-tcl84.exe)