Yet another SMS sender

Atz

Hi to all !
Im trying to make multiple SMS sender.

A want to send SMS from computer thru cellular phone ( beetwean computer and
cellular phone is a cable).
Basicly, i hate to write SMS directly on my cellular, and thefore a want to
make all this (write message, send message and maybe recieve message ) from
my computer (thru normal cable connection).
I know that there are some solutions for this "problem" , but a want to make
my own. JEA BABY :--)

So, please ( guys and girls) if you now, write down some basic steps what
shoud i do to make this work and where to start.

O O

~

Thanx in advence

Slartibartfast

Atz said:
Hi to all !
Im trying to make multiple SMS sender.

A want to send SMS from computer thru cellular phone ( beetwean computer and
cellular phone is a cable).
Basicly, i hate to write SMS directly on my cellular, and thefore a want to
make all this (write message, send message and maybe recieve message ) from
my computer (thru normal cable connection).
I know that there are some solutions for this "problem" , but a want to make
my own. JEA BABY :--)

So, please ( guys and girls) if you now, write down some basic steps what
shoud i do to make this work and where to start.

O O

~

Thanx in advence

Chances are the phone supports AT commands to do this.

For 3G phones these are specified in TS 27.007, which you can download for free from www.3gpp.org. GSM and GPRS phones
(depending on age) will support a large subset of the commands therein - try it with HyperTerminal to find out what
works on your phone.

Now, what did you want to know about C++??

BTW - don't call me "guy", or "baby". If you're Californian, especially don't call me "dude" - do real Californians say
"dude" or have I just been speaking with a film character??

Peter van Merkerk

Hi to all !
Im trying to make multiple SMS sender.

A want to send SMS from computer thru cellular phone ( beetwean computer and
cellular phone is a cable).
Basicly, i hate to write SMS directly on my cellular, and thefore a want to
make all this (write message, send message and maybe recieve message ) from
my computer (thru normal cable connection).
I know that there are some solutions for this "problem" , but a want to make
my own. JEA BABY :--)

So, please ( guys and girls) if you now, write down some basic steps what
shoud i do to make this work and where to start.

Step 1:
Post your question in a newsgroup or forum where your question is
topical. (hint: in comp.lang.c++ it isn't, see also
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt and
http://home.wanadoo.nl/efx/c++-faq/).

Standard C++ doesn't offer any facilities for sending SMS messages or
sending data over a (serial?) cable connection. For sending data over
the cable connection you will have to resort to platform specific
functions. Questions about platform specific functions should be asked
in a newsgroup dedicated to the platform you are using. You will also
need to figure out the protocol your cell phone uses for sending (and
optionally receiving) SMS messages. You will have to contact the cell
phone manufacturer to obtain that information, or if you are lucky you
might be able to find the required information on Google.

Based on the way you formulated your question I assume you are fairly
new to programming. An experienced programmer would have asked much more
specific questions - which typically results in much more useful
answers. If you are inexperienced, I'm afraid that writing such an
application will be a lot harder than you think. This is not a good
beginner's project.

Thomas Matthews

Slartibartfast said:
BTW - don't call me "guy", or "baby". If you're Californian, especially don't call me "dude" - do real Californians say
"dude" or have I just been speaking with a film character??

Yes, the colloquial conversation nearer to the beach cities is to use
the "dude" term. It has been over emphasized in many movies, such
as "Dude, Who Stole My Car." Just like, gag me with a spoon, there
is some groady talk from those valley people who don't chill by the
surf.

Later Dude.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Slartibartfast

Yes, the colloquial conversation nearer to the beach cities is to use
the "dude" term. It has been over emphasized in many movies, such
as "Dude, Who Stole My Car." Just like, gag me with a spoon, there
is some groady talk from those valley people who don't chill by the
surf.

Well, glad you cleared that up, then.

Atz

Thank you for your replay...

:--)
Yes , i did take this "Yea Baby" and the rest of it, from Austin Powers.
But OK, no more jokes....

I am new in this part of programming and a have no idea how to comunicate
with cellular phone from computer (thru cable).
I will try to write this in Borland C++ ( AND I WILL MAKE IT ( maybe in some
months)),
but i need all the help a can get...

** What i want to know about C++. **
Well, i thought that C++ is the best way to make this work (or maybe some C
compiler). Thefore i postit this message here.
The application shoud be user frendly :--)

Im JAVA programer but i think that C / C++ is much better solution for this
part (or maybe we can make some conversion).
Anyway i want to make this in C / C++.

Q:

1.) how to communicate(transfer and execute) with cellular phone from my pc
( im using Nokia 3310 cellular phone)
, some basic steps...
2.) i can make some end user frendly application but i dont know how to
thansfer this commands to my cellular.
(e.g. write sms, send sms)

3.) the application has just four parts ( for now ).
Main window, where you can write your SMS.
Function for optional changing of the source of the SMS.
Function for opening SEND window (where you must enter some phone
number).
Sending and returning to main window.

Well, this is the way im trying to make this work....

THIS PART IS FOR PETER
Microsoft has made release of "The Microsoft SMS sender" and it is working
on the XP O.S.
I dont know how the thansfer to cellular phone is made but it is working.
Basicly you can (just) send SMS from
your PC thru some cellular phone.

Atz

Thank you for your replay...

:--)

, some basic steps...http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,119,00.html

2.) i can make some end user frendly application but i dont know how to
thansfer this commands to my cellular.
(e.g. write sms, send sms)

3.) the application has just four parts ( for now ).
Main window, where you can write your SMS.
Function for optional changing of the source of the SMS.
Function for opening SEND window (where you must enter some phone
number).
Sending and returning to main window.

Well, this is the way im trying to make this work....

THIS PART IS FOR PETER
Microsoft has made release of "The Microsoft SMS sender" and it is working
on the XP O.S.
The data transfer is made thru cable on cellular phone and it's working
fine.
Basicly you can (just) send SMS from your PC thru some cellular phone.

Wenn i get all specifications from Simens or Nokia,i must find the way
to make this application work. So,what would you use for programming
language, in this case?.

Thanx in advance

Slartibartfast

Atz said:
Thank you for your replay...

:--)
[...]

As has been suggested elsewhere this is not a trivial project, but
it's simple enough that it should be manageable if you're patient.
It's a damn sight more interesting than most beginners' C/C++
exercises, anyway.

Get yourself a decent book on basic Windows programming - there are
many to choose from. Read the chapters on event handling and dialogue
boxes, and if the book is half decent there will also be a chapter
dedicated to serial comms.

When you reach the stage where you can make a dialogue box appear on
the screen, and send and receive characters over a serial port, ask
again if you still don't understand what to do.

In the meantime download TS 27.007 and use HyperTerminal to try the
commands on your phone. You did say you have a serial cable for the
phone, didn't you? You should be able to send messages by typing in
the AT commands directly.