yet another...

clintonG

Thanks for bringing Visual C# Express to our attention.

There's been a groundswell of 'developers' making the transition
from script to the .NET Framework (like me). Recent trade journals
have raised the question regarding the need for a 'Starter Kit IDE'
which I think is a great idea.

Its also interesting to note that Express is intended for C# development.
Personally, I think VB should be phased out and its better features
rolled into C#.

I'm going to go download Express just to get the sample application
even though I wouldn't admit the real reason ;-)

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

Kevin Spencer

If either of you is expecting to do any ASP.Net with it, forget it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

Visual C# Express

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

clintonG

I didn't realize it but there's a variety of MS Express development
applications, one of which appears to be specifically for web
development [1].

In any event, it sure is going to ripple throughout the development
community. Microsoft has made no secret of intending to make
it possible for the typical 'analyst' to be able to build applications.
The MS Express initiative is likely the beginning of that endeavor.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

[1] http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

David

from what I've seen it seems these express solutions are going to replace
the good'n old Frontpage; almost idiot proof, simple utilities to create
simple solutions - it's my feeling tough that for doing some more serious
appliactions you'll need something more be it VS or something else?

clintonG said:
I didn't realize it but there's a variety of MS Express development
applications, one of which appears to be specifically for web
development [1].

In any event, it sure is going to ripple throughout the development
community. Microsoft has made no secret of intending to make
it possible for the typical 'analyst' to be able to build applications.
The MS Express initiative is likely the beginning of that endeavor.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

[1] http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Kevin Spencer said:
Visual C# Express

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

clintonG

That's interesting conjecture David and it would require Visual
WebDev 2005 to support what FrontPage customers have
already developed and it would also require Visual WebDev 2005
to have the same or better page layout tools.

Microsoft has talked about making it possible for 'analysts' with
deep subject matter knowledge to be able to develop applications
without neccessarily having been formally trained in software
development. The release of the Visual Studio Express products is
taking the next step to achieve that objective.

Finally, the Express tools are free. Conjecture of course, but if the
Express tools remain free and if WebDev Express does finally obviate
the need for using FrontPage who would complain? :)

--

clintonG said:
I didn't realize it but there's a variety of MS Express development
applications, one of which appears to be specifically for web
development [1].

In any event, it sure is going to ripple throughout the development
community. Microsoft has made no secret of intending to make
it possible for the typical 'analyst' to be able to build applications.
The MS Express initiative is likely the beginning of that endeavor.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

[1] http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Kevin Spencer said:
Visual C# Express

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin you mean Visual C# developer, Web developer or both??

If either of you is expecting to do any ASP.Net with it, forget it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
.Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

message
Thanks for bringing Visual C# Express to our attention.

There's been a groundswell of 'developers' making the transition
from script to the .NET Framework (like me). Recent trade journals
have raised the question regarding the need for a 'Starter Kit IDE'
which I think is a great idea.

Its also interesting to note that Express is intended for C#
development.
Personally, I think VB should be phased out and its better features
rolled into C#.

I'm going to go download Express just to get the sample application
even though I wouldn't admit the real reason ;-)

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

and now there's Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/default.aspx

sigh I find it harder to choose my environment then picking up on C#
!!!