You know the default error beep in windows? How exactly do you dothat?

mrw

I was wondering how you create that default error beep that you dear
when say you go to start, then run, and type in a bad filename. You
here a specific sound.

It must be some type of API or something, right? Since that sound can
be changed to whatever you want and the new sound will still play. That
to me tells me that it isn't just code that plays a sound but some API
call to the "Asterisk" sound which then points to the whatever .wav file
that you have setup through the control panel.

Thanks in advance,
mrw

Unforgiven

mrw said:
I was wondering how you create that default error beep that you dear
when say you go to start, then run, and type in a bad filename. You
here a specific sound.

It must be some type of API or something, right? Since that sound can
be changed to whatever you want and the new sound will still play.
That to me tells me that it isn't just code that plays a sound but
some API call to the "Asterisk" sound which then points to the
whatever .wav file that you have setup through the control panel.

This is off topic here, but I'm feeling generous:

PlaySound("SystemAsterisk", NULL, SND_ALIAS | SND_SYNC);

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e..._playing_sounds_specified_in_the_registry.asp
(watch out for URL wrapping)

Peter van Merkerk

Unforgiven said:
This is off topic here, but I'm feeling generous:

PlaySound("SystemAsterisk", NULL, SND_ALIAS | SND_SYNC);

Or even shorter:

MessageBeep(MB_ICONASTERISK);

Nils Petter Vaskinn

Or even shorter:

MessageBeep(MB_ICONASTERISK);

And you both made sure that next time he will still post his offtopic
questions here, since he has learned that he gets an answer without doing
the hard work of figuring out the appropriate place to ask.