You know you're a Java freak when...

Daniel Pitts

You know you're a Java freak when:
1. You successfully read the Java SE API Javadocs as a tutorial.
1b. Extra points if you did that for fun.
2. Quote the JLS on a regular basis.
2b. Extra points for quoting the VM spec as well.
3. Have a personalized license-plate that is Java related.
4. Refuse to use Python unless its in the Jython form.
5. Complain when a colleague doesn't use a Factory Pattern.
6. To you, Agile is a noun, not an adjective.
7. Post on-topic frequently to comp.lang.java.*.
8. Have yet another blog/site/forum/group devoted to Java.
9. You forget basic C++ syntax because its been too long.
10. Have a strong opinion on adding typedef or operator overloading to
the language.
10b. Extra points if you have a working version of javac that includes
either of those features.
11. What's Ruby? Oh, is that like Groovy?

mekane

Daniel said:
You know you're a Java freak when...
Awesome!

3. Have a personalized license-plate that is Java related.
10b. Extra points if you have a working version of javac that includes
either of those features.

I'm curious whether you (or anyone else) meets either of these.

-marty

Daniel Pitts

mekane said:
I'm curious whether you (or anyone else) meets either of these.

-marty
I know someone who has #3. Before Java was widespread, he had "OS2XPTR".

Aryeh M. Friedman

You know you're a Java freak when:
1. You successfully read the Java SE API Javadocs as a tutorial.
1b. Extra points if you did that for fun.
2. Quote the JLS on a regular basis.
2b. Extra points for quoting the VM spec as well.
3. Have a personalized license-plate that is Java related.
4. Refuse to use Python unless its in the Jython form.
5. Complain when a colleague doesn't use a Factory Pattern.
6. To you, Agile is a noun, not an adjective.
7. Post on-topic frequently to comp.lang.java.*.
8. Have yet another blog/site/forum/group devoted to Java.
9. You forget basic C++ syntax because its been too long.
10. Have a strong opinion on adding typedef or operator overloading to
the language.
10b. Extra points if you have a working version of javac that includes
either of those features.
11. What's Ruby? Oh, is that like Groovy?

12. You are planning to write a OS completely in Java treating the
target hardware as a VM that is identical to a x86?

Joshua Cranmer

Daniel said:
You know you're a Java freak when:
1. You successfully read the Java SE API Javadocs as a tutorial.
> 1b. Extra points if you did that for fun.

How much of it?
2. Quote the JLS on a regular basis.
2b. Extra points for quoting the VM spec as well.

/me whistles away
3. Have a personalized license-plate that is Java related.
4. Refuse to use Python unless its in the Jython form.
5. Complain when a colleague doesn't use a Factory Pattern.
6. To you, Agile is a noun, not an adjective.

None to these four.
7. Post on-topic frequently to comp.lang.java.*.

Comes and goes. In the latter stage right now.
8. Have yet another blog/site/forum/group devoted to Java.
Nope.

9. You forget basic C++ syntax because its been too long.

I develop in both C++ and Java, but I have some things on this at the end.
10. Have a strong opinion on adding typedef or operator overloading to
the language.

Only operator overloading.
10b. Extra points if you have a working version of javac that includes
either of those features.

Thought about it, but am currently sticking with only working at the
bytecode level right now.
11. What's Ruby? Oh, is that like Groovy?

Don't get me started on that; my first exposure with Ruby involved a
painful experience.

Added ones:
2c. Extra points if you have a local copy of the JLS or VM spec.
12. Unable to work with other languages very well:
12a. Complains about the difficulty with working with strings.
12b. Discovering that not every programming language gracefully handles
outputting \u2588 to the console.
12c. Unable to use the STL in C++.
13. Your first response to someone saying "Don't use Java" is "Why not?"
13b. Extra points when you answer to the retort ("It's slow") with "show
me a case where it's slow" and then proceed to launch a half-hour
discussion showing that Java is not as slow as people think it is.
14. You can make a list with 11 points as to why someone's a Java freak.
14b. More extra points than you can imagine if all are true for you.

Since five of the above were false for me and I only added three more, I
don't qualify for 14b... :)

Daniel Pitts

Joshua said:
Added ones:
2c. Extra points if you have a local copy of the JLS or VM spec. *cough cough*, uh, me. :)
12. Unable to work with other languages very well:
12a. Complains about the difficulty with working with strings.
12b. Discovering that not every programming language gracefully handles
outputting \u2588 to the console.
12c. Unable to use the STL in C++.
13. Your first response to someone saying "Don't use Java" is "Why not?"
Ahem. If I know the overall project, and Java seems like a good fit,
will ask "why not?", but if its not a good fit, I will agree.
13b. Extra points when you answer to the retort ("It's slow") with "show
me a case where it's slow" and then proceed to launch a half-hour
discussion showing that Java is not as slow as people think it is.
Applies to posting on-topic at comp.lang.java.* :)
14. You can make a list with 11 points as to why someone's a Java freak. Yes, I am a Java freak.
14b. More extra points than you can imagine if all are true for you.
Not all of them are true for me :)
Since five of the above were false for me and I only added three more, I
don't qualify for 14b... :)
:)

Andreas Leitgeb

Joshua Cranmer said:
12b. Discovering that not every programming language gracefully handles
outputting \u2588 to the console.

What's so special about it? I quickly hacked it into a Tcl-shell
running in a gnome-terminal and it printed out a char that looked
like a black box. Which principially unicode-aware OS/language
combinations do something else? (or is this about those other
non-unicode aware prog-language-environments?)

What would be an "ungraceful" result for such a thing?

Daniel Pitts

Andreas said:
What's so special about it? I quickly hacked it into a Tcl-shell
running in a gnome-terminal and it printed out a char that looked
like a black box. Which principially unicode-aware OS/language
combinations do something else? (or is this about those other
non-unicode aware prog-language-environments?)

What would be an "ungraceful" result for such a thing?
Apparently that is exactly what it's supposed to do:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2588/index.htm

Andreas Leitgeb

Lew said:
One possible ungraceful result might be to see the characters "u2588" emitted
to the console.

From Joshua's wording ("gracefully"), I thought something worse than just
non-support would show up under some circumstances.