    share pointer. Any idea? When you reply, can you state the book's
    name, author and edition?

    Thanks!
    pembed2003, Jun 12, 2004

  2. "pembed2003" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    > I am looking for buying another C++ book and I want some suggestions
    > from you. I am a new C++ programmer but I already know some of the
    > _basic_ ideas such as class, inheritance, operator overloading, etc
    > but not deep enough. The C++ books I own are pretty old so I want a
    > newer one that covers some of the new features of C++ such as STL and
    > share pointer. Any idea? When you reply, can you state the book's
    > name, author and edition?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Effective C++, More Effective C++ and Effective STL, all by Scott Meyers.
    Second one has a good section on reference counting (shared pointers use
    reference counting), as well as a lot of other intermediate level C++
    techniques. Third covers STL obviously.

    Another possibility is The C++ Standard Library by Josuttis, which is a good
    tutorial and reference to the STL, but because it is comprehensive also
    spreads itself a bit thin.

    john
    John Harrison, Jun 12, 2004

  3. (pembed2003) wrote
    > Hi all,
    > I am looking for buying another C++ book and I want some suggestions
    > from you. I am a new C++ programmer but I already know some of the
    > _basic_ ideas such as class, inheritance, operator overloading, etc
    > but not deep enough. The C++ books I own are pretty old so I want a
    > newer one that covers some of the new features of C++ such as STL and
    > share pointer. Any idea? When you reply, can you state the book's
    > name, author and edition?

    "The C++ Programming Language" (TC++PL) is a very good book. Its
    author is Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. Use the latest
    edition you can find. I have the 3rd edition. It describes C++ as
    defined by the 1998 Standard. The latest Standard is 2003.

    > Thanks!

    Welcome

    To iterate is human, to recurse divine.
    -L. Peter Deutsch