your opinion on css code

Whitecrest

say-no-to- said:
That's a perfectly valid approach for personal sites like yours. A bit
more testing is necessary on commercial sites, unfortunately.

Do you mean to tell me that that there is a difference?

Matthias Gutfeldt

Whitecrest said:
Do you mean to tell me that that there is a difference?

Yes indeed. My personal site doesn't need to make any money. It's for my
own pleasure. I have no obligation to anybody but myself. If you can't
use it, tough luck.

That's different from a commercial site. A client pays me to produce a
site that helps him make money. I have an obligation to him.

The client won't pay me the $3000 it takes to work around an esoteric
browser bug that might result in a tiny layout glitch on 0.000000000002%
of all visitor's browsers, but he will pay the couple extra hours it
might take to have the site working without crashes in 99% of all
browsers. Everything's a tradeoff.

Matthias

Whitecrest

say-no-to- said:
Yes indeed....
That's different from a commercial site. A client pays me to produce a
site that helps him make money. I have an obligation to him.

What if Making the money means you have to use something like Flash (for
example cartoon channel) does this mean that it would be ok to use
Flash?
Everything's a tradeoff.

Everything (including plain generic HTML) is a tradeoff. Different
things turn different people on. Different things make different people
buy. That is why an all flash site, or a fancy DHTML site can work in
many instances. And also why and all HTML site will work in others.

I am glad to see the group is slowly coming around to understanding that
EVERYTHING is a trade off one way or another. So, while site may be
able to be seen by all, it might not work to excite and sell your
product. Different strokes for Different folks.

Leif K-Brooks

Whitecrest said:
And people yell at me for saying the same thing...

He's saying "I'm doing what I should do. If browsers don't like it, too
bad." On the other hand, you're saying "I'm doing something weird and
nonstandard. If browsers don't like it, too bad."

Whitecrest

He's saying "I'm doing what I should do. If browsers don't like it, too
bad." On the other hand, you're saying "I'm doing something weird and
nonstandard. If browsers don't like it, too bad."

We both make a decision that will STOP someone from seeing the site,
when we could BOTH code it differently.

The result of both of our actions is same. Someone will not see the
site because of a decision we made. It is exactly the same thing.