    opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
    is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

    Mike

    Mike Campo, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Mike Campo

    Phlip Guest

    Mike Campo wrote:

    > This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
    > still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
    > read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
    > from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
    > it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
    > basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
    > opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
    > is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

    The first tip is to stick with Addison Wesley. WROX and O'Really are great
    for the platform-specific stuff, but the art of computer programming is in
    making theories and philosophy actually useful.

    The best C++ "sane subset" books are...

    - /Effective C++/ by Scott Meyers - overcome newbiehood
    - /Accelerated C++/ by Andrew Koenig - pure C++ at work
    - /Exceptional C++/ by Herb Sutter - a path thru the minefields
    - /Large Scale C++ Software Design/ by John Lakos -
    useful tips at
    any scale

    Above that level, you need to know how to design without causing bugs. The
    best three design books are:

    - /Test Driven Development/ by Kent Beck
    - /Design Patterns/ by the Gang of Four
    - /Refactoring/ by Martin Fowler

    Together they form a triad - how to program without ever needing to run the
    debugger and waste time hunting bugs, what the best most common resulting
    designs look like, and how to morph a design without changing behavior.

    Above that level, you will need to know how to interact with a team without
    tripping over each others' feet:

    - /Extreme Programming Explained/ by Kent Beck
    - /Lean Software Development/ by the Poppendiecks
    - /Agile Modeling/ by Scott Ambler

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces

    Phlip, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Mike Campo wrote:
    > This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
    > still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
    > read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
    > from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
    > it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
    > basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
    > opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
    > is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

    The book is ok. It's no waste of time to read it.
    For book recommendations look at:

    www.accu.org

    There you can find a lot of book reviews.

    hth

    Christoph

    Christoph Rabel, Dec 10, 2003