YouTube written in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    In a thread on the PyDev list, Guido van Rossum today wrote:
    > And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
    > almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub shoulders with
    > the developers since they're all Googlers now... :)

    In reply, Simon Brunning noted:

    Terry Reedy, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Terry Reedy

    Guest

    Really?
    It's awful!
    Terry Reedy wrote:
    > In a thread on the PyDev list, Guido van Rossum today wrote:
    > > And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
    > > almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub shoulders with
    > > the developers since they're all Googlers now... :)

    > In reply, Simon Brunning noted:
    > > That'll put to bed any "Does Python scale" discussions.

    , Dec 13, 2006

  3. Terry Reedy wrote:
    > In a thread on the PyDev list, Guido van Rossum today wrote:
    >> And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
    >> almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub shoulders with
    >> the developers since they're all Googlers now... :)

    Interesting. I wonder what they're using for a Web framework? Of course,
    sites that size generally use lots of custom stuff, but it would
    presumably be based on something.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Really?
    > It's awful!

    Awesome?

    Terry Reedy, Dec 13, 2006
  5. On 12/13/06, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    > > Really?
    > > It's awful!

    > Awesome?

    Well, it's got some pretty awful clips on it, but I don't think you
    can blame that on the technology. ;-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B

    Simon Brunning, Dec 13, 2006
  6. Terry Reedy

    Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Terry Reedy wrote:
    > > In a thread on the PyDev list, Guido van Rossum today wrote:
    > >> And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
    > >> almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub shoulders with
    > >> the developers since they're all Googlers now... :)

    > Interesting. I wonder what they're using for a Web framework? Of course,
    > sites that size generally use lots of custom stuff, but it would
    > presumably be based on something.

    awesome.Could you give the link where guido told this
    -Chandru

    , Dec 13, 2006
  7. Terry Reedy

    Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Terry Reedy wrote:
    > > In a thread on the PyDev list, Guido van Rossum today wrote:
    > >> And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
    > >> almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub shoulders with
    > >> the developers since they're all Googlers now... :)

    > Interesting. I wonder what they're using for a Web framework? Of course,
    > sites that size generally use lots of custom stuff, but it would
    > presumably be based on something.

    awesome.Could you give the link where guido told this
    -Chandru

    , Dec 13, 2006
  8. Terry Reedy

    Lad Guest

    Speaking of YouTube, does anyone know how they uploads big files(
    100MB)
    I need to solve that problem ( in Python of course) and YouTube is a
    good sample of that.
    Lad.

    Lad, Dec 13, 2006
  9. Fredrik Lundh, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >> Terry Reedy wrote:

    > awesome.Could you give the link where guido told this

    No, I read the list via gmane.comp.python.devel. Search the archives at
    Python.org if you want, but I quoted all he wrote and will probably copy
    over any significant new info should any be posted. Exact details are
    probably considered trade secrets by YouTube.

    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Dec 13, 2006
  11. Terry Reedy

    Will McGugan Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    > In a thread on the PyDev list, Guido van Rossum today wrote:
    >
    >>And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
    >>almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub shoulders with
    >>the developers since they're all Googlers now... :)

    Nice quote re youtube on Python.org

    http://www.python.org/about/quotes/

    Will McGugan
    --
    blog: http://www.willmcgugan.com

    Will McGugan, Dec 13, 2006
  12. Terry Reedy

    John Nagle Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    > In a thread on the PyDev list, Guido van Rossum today wrote:
    >
    >>And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
    >>almost entirely written in Python.

    Probably just the web page maintenance system is in Python.
    I doubt that actual video passes through Python at any point.
    Transcoding in Python would take forever.

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, Dec 14, 2006
  13. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "John Nagle" <> wrote in message
    >> (Guido) YouTube is almost entirely written in Python.

    > Probably just the web page maintenance system is in Python.

    I am sure that that is pretty much all he meant.

    > I doubt that actual video passes through Python at any point.
    > Transcoding in Python would take forever.

    I would expect that the video files are stored in a ready-to-send format.
    And that they wrote or perhaps adapted a pre-written compilable video
    library.
    Ditto for the backend database. And CPython makes it relatively easy to
    call such add-ons.

    tjr

    Terry Reedy, Dec 14, 2006