YouTube written in Python

Terry Reedy

In said:
And I just found out (after everyone else probably :) that YouTube is
almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub shoulders with
the developers since they're all Googlers now... :)

In reply, Simon Brunning noted:

Leif K-Brooks

Interesting. I wonder what they're using for a Web framework? Of course,
sites that size generally use lots of custom stuff, but it would
presumably be based on something.

chandrasekar.kanagaraj

Leif said:
Interesting. I wonder what they're using for a Web framework? Of course,
sites that size generally use lots of custom stuff, but it would
presumably be based on something.

awesome.Could you give the link where guido told this
-Chandru

chandrasekar.kanagaraj

Leif said:
Interesting. I wonder what they're using for a Web framework? Of course,
sites that size generally use lots of custom stuff, but it would
presumably be based on something.

awesome.Could you give the link where guido told this
-Chandru

Lad

Speaking of YouTube, does anyone know how they uploads big files(
100MB)
I need to solve that problem ( in Python of course) and YouTube is a
good sample of that.
Lad.

Terry Reedy

awesome.Could you give the link where guido told this

No, I read the list via gmane.comp.python.devel. Search the archives at
Python.org if you want, but I quoted all he wrote and will probably copy
over any significant new info should any be posted. Exact details are
probably considered trade secrets by YouTube.

Terry Jan Reedy

John Nagle

Probably just the web page maintenance system is in Python.
I doubt that actual video passes through Python at any point.
Transcoding in Python would take forever.

John Nagle

Terry Reedy

Probably just the web page maintenance system is in Python.

I am sure that that is pretty much all he meant.
I doubt that actual video passes through Python at any point.
Transcoding in Python would take forever.

I would expect that the video files are stored in a ready-to-send format.
And that they wrote or perhaps adapted a pre-written compilable video
library.
Ditto for the backend database. And CPython makes it relatively easy to
call such add-ons.

tjr