YUI/Struts2: tabs initially unrendered or clone hidden region with idmutations

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by david.karr, Mar 8, 2008.

  1. david.karr

    david.karr Guest

    It's always a challenge to come up with a cogent subject line when I
    don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

    I'm using Struts2 and YUI, and I'm pretty new to YUI and JavaScript.

    I'm trying to figure out the best strategies for implementing a
    dynamic tab panel that will eventually be submitted en masse to the
    server. There will be a couple of "static" tabs with a bunch of
    fields in them, and there will be actions on the page to add/remove
    dynamic tabs, each of which will have quite a few fields, but all the
    same fields on all the dynamic tabs. the "id" attributes will specify
    an array index to allow the server-side code to differentiate between
    the tabs.

    When I tried building this prototype with JSF/RichFaces, I ended up
    rendering a max of 10 dynamic tabs, but all initially unrendered.
    Actions on the page would set or clear the rendered flag on a tab.
    I'm not sure whether this strategy will work with YUI. I think not.

    Alternatively, I wonder if I can "clone" a hidden region in JavaScript
    and mutate all the id fields to reflect an array index.

    I could use some comments on this and some ideas.

    Thanks.

    david.karr, Mar 8, 2008