YYAT (Yet Another Acronym Thread)

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Dear c.l.c regulars,

    How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    <g>
    <g,d&r>
    <VBG>
    AAMOF
    AFAIAA
    AFAIAC
    AFAIC
    AFAICT
    AFAIK
    AFAIR
    AIUI
    BTW
    FUBAR
    FUD
    FWIW
    FYI
    HAND
    HTH
    IANAL
    IINM
    IIRC
    IMHO
    IMNSHO
    IMO
    IOW
    ISP
    ISTM
    ISTR
    ITYM
    IIUC
    IYSWIM
    LART
    LOL
    LUSER
    NNTP
    OP
    OTOH
    PITA
    PLONK
    POV
    RFC
    ROTFL
    RTFAQ
    RTFM
    TIA
    TTFN
    WTH
    WYSIWYG
    Y2K
    YHBT
    YMMV

    Comments are welcome.

    Tak-Shing

    Source: http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm
    (with some deletions)
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Tak-Shing Chan

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Tak-Shing Chan" <> wrote in message
    > Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >
    > How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?
    >

    > Comments are welcome.

    WIYCQ?

    (What Is Your C Question?)

    :)

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Dec 5, 2003

  3. On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Mike Wahler wrote:

    > "Tak-Shing Chan" <> wrote in message
    >> Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >>
    >> How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?
    >>

    >> Comments are welcome.

    > WIYCQ?
    >
    > (What Is Your C Question?)
    >
    > :)
    >
    > -Mike

    TIAOT (Topicality Is Always On Topic). :)

    Tak-Shing
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Tak-Shing Chan

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Tak-Shing Chan wrote:

    > Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >
    > How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    Y2Ys in YYAT?

    Eric Sosman, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Tak-Shing Chan

    Mac Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:38:08 +0000, Tak-Shing Chan wrote:

    > Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >
    > How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    I would not presume. Instead, I'll put an x next to the ones I personally
    know (without context and without looking them up).

    > <g> x
    > <g,d&r> x
    > <VBG>
    > AAMOF
    > AFAIAA x
    > AFAIAC x
    > AFAIC
    > AFAICT x
    > AFAIK x
    > AFAIR x
    > AIUI
    > BTW x
    > FAQ x
    > FUBAR x
    > FUD x
    > FWIW x
    > FYI x
    > HAND x
    > HTH x
    > IANAL x

    Isn't this from Slashdot? I don't think this is a usenet acronym. We
    probably shouldn't include it here.

    > IINM
    > IIRC x
    > IMHO x
    > IMNSHO x
    > IMO
    > IOW x
    > ISP

    As in internet service provider? That is common usage among technically
    literate. That's like ATM for automated teller machine or AC for
    alternating current. It is so common it doesn't really need to be
    mentioned.

    > ISTM
    > ISTR x
    > ITYM x
    > IIUC
    > IYSWIM
    > LART
    > LOL x
    > LUSER is this an acronym?
    > NNTP

    As in Network News Transfer Protocol? I guess it makes sense to include
    this for a usenet group.

    > OP x
    > OTOH x
    > PITA x
    > PLONK is this an acronym?
    > POV x
    > RFC x
    > ROTFL x
    > RTFAQ x
    > RTFM x
    > TIA x
    > TTFN
    > WTH
    > WYSIWYG x
    > Y2K x
    > YHBT x
    > YMMV x
    >
    > Comments are welcome.

    "CLC" is certainly acceptable. I occasionally see "YRC" or "YDRC" (in
    response to "IIRC") and "YDKVF" in response to "AFAIK." I would also
    include "GUI." I'm sure there are others, but this is a good start.

    Mac, Dec 6, 2003
  6. Tak-Shing Chan wrote:

    > On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Mike Wahler wrote:
    >

    >>"Tak-Shing Chan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >>>
    >>> How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?
    >>>

    >>> Comments are welcome.

    >>WIYCQ?
    >>
    >>(What Is Your C Question?)
    >>
    >>:)
    >>
    >>-Mike

    > TIAOT (Topicality Is Always On Topic). :)

    OK... But this is not a topicality issue.

    -Kevin
    Kevin Goodsell, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Eric Sosman <> wrote in news:
    on Fri 05 Dec 2003 04:12:43p:

    > Tak-Shing Chan wrote:
    >>
    >> Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >>
    >> How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    > Y2Ys in YYAT?

    The extra Y is for qualitY.

    Quality also eats As for brunch.
    August Derleth, Dec 6, 2003
  8. Mac <> scribbled the following:
    > On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:38:08 +0000, Tak-Shing Chan wrote:
    >> Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >>
    >> How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    > I would not presume. Instead, I'll put an x next to the ones I personally
    > know (without context and without looking them up).

    Here are some of the ones you don't know.

    >> <VBG>

    Very Big Grin

    >> AIUI

    As I Understand It

    >> IMO

    In My Opinion

    >> IYSWIM

    If You See What I Mean

    >> LART

    Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool

    >> TTFN

    Ta Ta For Now

    >> WTH

    What The H...?

    "The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers."
    - Bill Gates
    Joona I Palaste, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Tak-Shing Chan

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    Tak-Shing Chan <> writes:

    > Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >
    > How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    I've personally decided out that not using acronyms is a lot
    easier to read. So now I set up my newsreader's editor to
    automatically expand, say, "IMO", into "in my opinion". In fact
    it took a special effort to type the acronym above without
    expanding it. I encourage everyone else to try this sort of
    thing, especially if it's easy with your editor.
    --
    "This is a wonderful answer.
    It's off-topic, it's incorrect, and it doesn't answer the question."
    Ben Pfaff, Dec 6, 2003
  10. [OT] Re: YYAT (Yet Another Acronym Thread)

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:38:08 +0000, Tak-Shing Chan <> wrote:

    >How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?
    >
    >[snip list]

    Most of those aren't acronyms though. And ITYM "YAAT". :)

    -- Mat.
    Mathew Hendry, Dec 6, 2003
  11. Ben Pfaff <> wrote in
    news: on Sat 06 Dec 2003 01:13:00p:

    > Tak-Shing Chan <> writes:
    >
    >> Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >>
    >> How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    > I've personally decided out that not using acronyms is a lot
    > easier to read. So now I set up my newsreader's editor to
    > automatically expand, say, "IMO", into "in my opinion". In fact
    > it took a special effort to type the acronym above without
    > expanding it. I encourage everyone else to try this sort of
    > thing, especially if it's easy with your editor.

    Heh. A hackish solution to a hackish problem. I love it.

    I also disagree: Usenet's abbreviations and acronyms are a kind of
    symbolism that we can be sure nearly everyone understands without regard
    to the person's first language. The Indian programmers coming through here
    seem to do as well with abbreviations as the native Americans, and
    learning the symbols is usually easier than learning the words.

    It's an i18n issue, in other words. ;)
    August Derleth, Dec 7, 2003
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Mar=EDa?= Mateos, Dec 7, 2003
  13. On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Eric Sosman wrote:

    > Tak-Shing Chan wrote:
    >>
    >> Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >>
    >> How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    > Y2Ys in YYAT?

    YYAT (Yes, Yes, A Typo). Sorry. :)

    Tak-Shing
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 7, 2003
  14. On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Mac wrote:

    >> IANAL x

    > Isn't this from Slashdot? I don't think this is a usenet acronym. We
    > probably shouldn't include it here.

    From a Google Search: comp.lang.c regulars who use ``IANAL''
    includes (inter alia) Daniel Fox, Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Dan Pop,
    Bjorn Augestad, Steve (istartedi), Joona I Palaste, Chris Torek,
    Richard Bos, Gergo Barany, Keith Thompson, CBFalconer, and
    Christian Bau, in order of relevance.

    >> ISP

    > As in internet service provider?

    Yes.

    >> LUSER is this an acronym?

    It means ``Local User'' (according to
    http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm).

    >> NNTP

    > As in Network News Transfer Protocol? I guess it makes sense to include
    > this for a usenet group.

    Yes.

    >> PLONK is this an acronym?

    It means ``Please Log Off, Net Kook'' (according to
    http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm). But I
    noticed that Eric Raymond's definition is different.

    > "CLC" is certainly acceptable. I occasionally see "YRC" or "YDRC" (in
    > response to "IIRC") and "YDKVF" in response to "AFAIK." I would also
    > include "GUI." I'm sure there are others, but this is a good start.

    And "MMMV" in response to "YMMV". And "C&V". And "DP" for
    Dan Pop, ad infinitum. Now I know why it is so difficult to
    codify existing practices. :)

    Tak-Shing
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 7, 2003
  15. On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Kevin Goodsell wrote:

    > Tak-Shing Chan wrote:
    >> TIAOT (Topicality Is Always On Topic). :)

    > OK... But this is not a topicality issue.

    NIAOT (Netiquette Is Always On Topic)? :)

    Tak-Shing
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 7, 2003
  16. Tak-Shing Chan <> scribbled the following:
    > On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Mac wrote:
    >>> IANAL x

    >> Isn't this from Slashdot? I don't think this is a usenet acronym. We
    >> probably shouldn't include it here.

    > From a Google Search: comp.lang.c regulars who use ``IANAL''
    > includes (inter alia) Daniel Fox, Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Dan Pop,
    > Bjorn Augestad, Steve (istartedi), Joona I Palaste, Chris Torek,
    > Richard Bos, Gergo Barany, Keith Thompson, CBFalconer, and
    > Christian Bau, in order of relevance.

    Increasing or decreasing order of relevance?

    "I am lying."
    - Anon
    Joona I Palaste, Dec 7, 2003
  17. On 6 Dec 2003, Ben Pfaff wrote:

    > Tak-Shing Chan <> writes:
    >
    >> Dear c.l.c regulars,
    >>
    >> How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

    > I've personally decided out that not using acronyms is a lot
    > easier to read. So now I set up my newsreader's editor to
    > automatically expand, say, "IMO", into "in my opinion". In fact
    > it took a special effort to type the acronym above without
    > expanding it. I encourage everyone else to try this sort of
    > thing, especially if it's easy with your editor.

    This is useful. I should try it sometime.

    Tak-Shing
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 7, 2003
  18. Re: [OT] Re: YYAT (Yet Another Acronym Thread)

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Mathew Hendry wrote:

    > Most of those aren't acronyms though.

    Depending on your definition of ``acronym''. :)

    > And ITYM "YAAT". :)

    Yes. Sorry about that.

    Tak-Shing
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 7, 2003
  19. On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, August Derleth wrote:

    > I also disagree: Usenet's abbreviations and acronyms are a kind of
    > symbolism that we can be sure nearly everyone understands without regard
    > to the person's first language.

    Define ``nearly everyone''. ;-)

    Tak-Shing
    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 7, 2003
  20. Tak-Shing Chan <> writes:
    [...]
    > >> LUSER is this an acronym?

    > It means ``Local User'' (according to
    > http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm).

    I don't think it really means "local user". It's a combination of
    "user" and "loser".

    > >> PLONK is this an acronym?

    > It means ``Please Log Off, Net Kook'' (according to
    > http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm). But I
    > noticed that Eric Raymond's definition is different.

    Looks like they're making things up. Plonk, as far as I know, is not
    an acronym.

    (Note new e-mail address)
    Keith Thompson, Dec 7, 2003