YYAT (Yet Another Acronym Thread)

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Mar=EDa?= Mateos

Joona I Palaste

Looks like they're making things up. Plonk, as far as I know, is not
an acronym.

I agree with you. It's onomatopoetic or something. The only reason it
looks like an acronym is because it's written in ALL CAPS to make it
sound louder.
What would be the opposite of "plonk"? Maybe "plink"? Or "knolp"?

Dave Vandervies

[...]
It means ``Please Log Off, Net Kook'' (according to
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm). But I
noticed that Eric Raymond's definition is different.

Looks like they're making things up. Plonk, as far as I know, is not
an acronym.

Between my recollection of proposed expansions and the first page of
google://plonk+acronym:
People Leaving Our Newsgroup Killfiled
Person {of|with} Little Or No Knowledge
PLaced ON Killfilter

All of these look like back-formations to me. The most believable
etymology is that it came from the sound made when somebody falls to
the bottom of a killfile.

dave

Les Cargill

Joona said:
I agree with you. It's onomatopoetic or something. The only reason it
looks like an acronym is because it's written in ALL CAPS to make it
sound louder.
What would be the opposite of "plonk"? Maybe "plink"? Or "knolp"?

Vrrrrrrp! ( the sound of velcro being pulled off ).

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

From a Google Search: comp.lang.c regulars who use ``IANAL''
includes (inter alia) Daniel Fox, Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Dan Pop,
Bjorn Augestad, Steve (istartedi), Joona I Palaste, Chris Torek,
Richard Bos, Gergo Barany, Keith Thompson, CBFalconer, and
Christian Bau, in order of relevance.

Yay! I'm the second-most-relevant not-a-lawyer in this group!

-Arthur

CBFalconer

Keith said:
I don't think it really means "local user". It's a combination
of "user" and "loser".

I think of it as the sound made by the LUSER as s/he/it hits the
watery bottom of that deep well into which s/he/it is to be
henceforth delivered.

CBFalconer

Joona said:
.... snip ...

What would be the opposite of "plonk"? Maybe "plink"? Or "knolp"?

#define hctiws }

switch (status) {
case plonk: destroy(); break;
case knolp: resurrect(); break;
default: read(); break;
hctiws;

:)

CBFalconer

Arthur J. O'Dwyer said:
Yay! I'm the second-most-relevant not-a-lawyer in this group!

I think I used it for the first time in who knows how long last
week, and lo, I made the hall of shame! I suspect the 'relevance'
means usage count over some period.

Dan Pop

In said:
How about codifying a list of acceptable acronyms on c.l.c?

That would be a bad idea, from the POV of the newcomers.
It's much better to stick to the most common Usenet abbreviations
(not every abbreviation is an acronym, BTW). OTOH, some are so handy,
that it's very hard to resist the temptation...

Hence, my comments:

Better replaced by the poster's favourite emoticon.

I'm not sure if enough people understand it.

I'm not sure if enough people understand it. An emoticon is probably
better (as they are language neutral and, therefore, more intuitive to
the non-native English speaker).
AAMOF
AFAIAA
AFAIAC
AFAIC

None of them is common enough. I can't remember when I've seen one of
them actually used here.
AFAICT
AFAIK
AFAIR
AIUI
BTW

All of them OK. Relatively easy to figure them out, if not already
familiar with them.

Not only not needed, but there is no consensus about its meaning.

Again, not really needed here.
FWIW
FYI
OK.

HAND
HTH

I'd rather avoid abbreviations for end of post formulas. If you want to
be polite, you can take the trouble of expanding them ;-)
IANAL
OK.

IINM

Can't remember seeing it used here.
IIRC
IMHO
IMNSHO
IMO
IOW
ISP

All of them very common and most of them very useful.
ISTM
ISTR
ITYM
IIUC
IYSWIM

These are a bit on the obscure side. It takes an imaginative reader to
figure them out.

Can't remember seeing it used here.

Another one that is better replaced by an emoticon.

Not an abbreviation, a word on its on. See the Jargon File.

Seldom needed here (mostly for off topic discussions ;-)
OP
OTOH
PITA
OK.

PLONK

It's a made-up acronym. IMHO, anyone anouncing that he plonked someone
has an ego problem (why should anyone else care?).
POV
RFC
OK.

ROTFL

See my previous remarks on the topic. Ditto for the unproposed ROTFLMAO.
RTFAQ
RTFM

For consistency the former should be RTFFAQ.

See my previous remark on end of post formulas.

Why not WTF, too? ;-)
WYSIWYG
Y2K
OK.

YHBT

Probably too obscure.

OK, although the c.l.c newbie might have a problem decoding it.

There are far too many such sources to consider one or another as
authoritative. Therefore, the abbreviations with non-consensual
meanings should be avoided.

Missing from the list, although very frequently used: WRT.
Missing from the list, although very frequently used in c.l.c (and not
covered by the FAQ, either): C89, C99, N869, C&V, DR, TC, NA.

If this discussion leads to any conclusion, the "approved" list, together
with expansions (and explanations, where necessary) should become part of
the weekly welcome to clc post. Otherwise, it was a mere exercise in
futility...

Dan

Dan Pop

In said:
Depending on your definition of ``acronym''. :)

My definition doesn't matter. Can you find any reputable dictionary
claiming that "abbreviation" and "acronym" are synonyms? Because what
you have posted is a list of abbreviations.

Dan

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Not only not needed, but there is no consensus about its meaning.

Huh? Its meaning is perfectly clear as far as I know,
modulo the R's standing for either "repair" or "recall."
Not that it's ever been used in this group AFAIK...
Why not WTF, too? ;-)

Because people who write that most often use "wtf?" (lowercase),
and aren't worth reading anyway. It's a statement of
lack-of-knowledge and obscenity in one. :) I've never read
"WTH" before, and I'm not entirely sure it means what you
imply it means (but can't come up with anything better, and
looks like Acronym Finder agrees with you) except in longer
phrases such as "WTHDYTYA (TTMT___)?". ;-)
Missing from the list, although very frequently used: WRT.

And maybe even WLOG ("without loss of generality"), which might
pop up from time to time here or in related groups.
Missing from the list, although very frequently used in c.l.c
(and not covered by the FAQ, either): C89, C99, N869, C&V, DR,
TC, NA.

You skipped the obvious: UB.
And its less obvious and cutesier siblings IDB and USB.
If this discussion leads to any conclusion, the "approved" list, together
with expansions (and explanations, where necessary) should become part of
the weekly welcome to clc post. Otherwise, it was a mere exercise in
futility...

And your point is...? ;-)

-Arthur

Dave Vandervies

And maybe even WLOG ("without loss of generality"), which might
pop up from time to time here or in related groups.

Don't forget WMLOG ("without much loss of generality") and WTMLOG
("without too much loss of generality"). (While the terms are perhaps
not in live use, the concepts are quite familiar, f'rexample assuming
INT_MAX>CHAR_MAX. Assuming a hosted implementation probably falls into
this too.)

dave

Joona I Palaste

Don't forget WMLOG ("without much loss of generality") and WTMLOG
("without too much loss of generality"). (While the terms are perhaps
not in live use, the concepts are quite familiar, f'rexample assuming
INT_MAX>CHAR_MAX. Assuming a hosted implementation probably falls into
this too.)

I noted that www.acronymfinder.com knows WYSIWYG (What You See Is What
You Get), WYSINWYG (What You See Is Not What You Get) and WYSIMOLWYG
(What You See Is More Or Less What You Get). But I didn't try to see if
it knows WYSCAWYG (What You See Certainly Ain't What You Get).

Randy Howard

Huh? Its meaning is perfectly clear as far as I know,
modulo the R's standing for either "repair" or "recall."

I thought it was for "recognition". *shrug*

Mac

Here are some of the ones you don't know.

Very Big Grin

As I Understand It

In My Opinion

If You See What I Mean

Luser Attitude Readjustment Tool

Ta Ta For Now

What The H...?

Thanks, Joona.

I like LART, in particular...

I'm sure I have enountered it before in the jargon file, but not in the
wild (as far as I remember).

Mac

Mac

From a Google Search: comp.lang.c regulars who use ``IANAL''
includes (inter alia) Daniel Fox, Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Dan Pop,
Bjorn Augestad, Steve (istartedi), Joona I Palaste, Chris Torek,
Richard Bos, Gergo Barany, Keith Thompson, CBFalconer, and
Christian Bau, in order of relevance.

Hmmm. I'm not willing to go back and look at the context, but it seems
possible that they all used the expression in a context where they felt
sure it would be understood, which is reasonable. I see IANAL used
frequently on Slashdot, but seldom elsewhere. I could be wrong. ;-)
It means ``Local User'' (according to
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm).

It means ``Please Log Off, Net Kook'' (according to
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/acronyms.htm). But I
noticed that Eric Raymond's definition is different.

And "MMMV" in response to "YMMV". And "C&V". And "DP" for
Dan Pop, ad infinitum. Now I know why it is so difficult to
codify existing practices. :)

Yeah. They are a hodge-podge of ad-hoc rules. I think the best thing to do
is to keep to a mimimum number of abbreviations and acronyms. Even so, it
is probably best to spell things out for newbies, unless they specifically
state that they are not new to usenet (as occasionally happens).

If anything like an approved list emerges, I agree with DP that it should
be in the welcome message. ;-)
Tak-Shing

Mac

BiancaFix3