    working sample of how it's done. I tried googling and that so far has
    been a PITA.

    Samples anyone?

    richard, Aug 26, 2008

  2. richard

    John Hosking Guest

    richard wrote:
    > In my latest version

    Of what? URL?

    > I'm working on, I now have a two division column affair.

    I had an affair once, but I didn't brag about it.. ;-)

    > The left side is the primary name list. While the right will call up a
    > page for a description of that name.

    What, using frames?

    > If I leave things alone as they are, I have one huge long list a user
    > has to scroll through. So I figure that to help things along, I can do
    > this better by swapping the top division.

    Top? What happened to left and right?

    > Along the top row, have the letters of the alphabet as links.
    > Starting with "A" at the top on load. Then when any other letter is
    > clicked, that division is brought into focus.

    By "top" do you mean "left"? You mean div instead of frame? You mean
    "displayed" or "made visible" instead of "brought into focus"?

    > I know it has to do with z-index and "hidden" stuff.

    I'm not convinced you know that. But then, I'm not convinced I know what
    you're trying to do. Maybe with a URL I could decipher your attempt at
    explaining your goals. In any case, attempts to use z-index are
    generally ill-advised, IME.

    > I just need a
    > working sample of how it's done. I tried googling and that so far has
    > been a PITA.
    >
    > Samples anyone?

    You first.

    BTW, if I send e-mail to you at , should I expect you
    to receive it? Can you tell me what happens to such mail?

    --
    John

    John Hosking, Aug 27, 2008

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 04:50:53 +0200, John Hosking
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> In my latest version

    >Of what? URL?
    >
    >> I'm working on, I now have a two division column affair.

    >I had an affair once, but I didn't brag about it.. ;-)
    >
    >> The left side is the primary name list. While the right will call up a
    >> page for a description of that name.

    >What, using frames?
    >

    >> If I leave things alone as they are, I have one huge long list a user
    >> has to scroll through. So I figure that to help things along, I can do
    >> this better by swapping the top division.

    >Top? What happened to left and right?
    >

    >> Along the top row, have the letters of the alphabet as links.
    >> Starting with "A" at the top on load. Then when any other letter is
    >> clicked, that division is brought into focus.

    >By "top" do you mean "left"? You mean div instead of frame? You mean
    >"displayed" or "made visible" instead of "brought into focus"?
    >

    >> I know it has to do with z-index and "hidden" stuff.

    >I'm not convinced you know that. But then, I'm not convinced I know what
    >you're trying to do. Maybe with a URL I could decipher your attempt at
    >explaining your goals. In any case, attempts to use z-index are
    >generally ill-advised, IME.
    >
    >> I just need a
    >> working sample of how it's done. I tried googling and that so far has
    >> been a PITA.
    >>
    >> Samples anyone?

    >You first.
    >
    >BTW, if I send e-mail to you at , should I expect you
    >to receive it? Can you tell me what happens to such mail?

    email sent to that addy gets trashed automagically.
    before you go sending to the abuse department, I already have
    permission to use it.

    Thanks for the vague response to the vague post.

    Found something else that works.

    richard, Aug 27, 2008
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    In article <48b4c1ee$>, John Hosking says...

    >richard wrote:
    >> In my latest version

    >Of what? URL?
    >
    >> I'm working on, I now have a two division column affair.

    >I had an affair once, but I didn't brag about it.. ;-)
    >
    >> The left side is the primary name list. While the right will call up a
    >> page for a description of that name.

    >What, using frames?
    >

    >> If I leave things alone as they are, I have one huge long list a user
    >> has to scroll through. So I figure that to help things along, I can do
    >> this better by swapping the top division.

    >Top? What happened to left and right?
    >

    >> Along the top row, have the letters of the alphabet as links.
    >> Starting with "A" at the top on load. Then when any other letter is
    >> clicked, that division is brought into focus.

    >By "top" do you mean "left"? You mean div instead of frame? You mean
    >"displayed" or "made visible" instead of "brought into focus"?
    >

    >> I know it has to do with z-index and "hidden" stuff.

    >I'm not convinced you know that. But then, I'm not convinced I know what
    >you're trying to do. Maybe with a URL I could decipher your attempt at
    >explaining your goals. In any case, attempts to use z-index are
    >generally ill-advised, IME.
    >
    >> I just need a
    >> working sample of how it's done. I tried googling and that so far has
    >> been a PITA.
    >>
    >> Samples anyone?

    >You first.
    >
    >BTW, if I send e-mail to you at , should I expect you
    >to receive it? Can you tell me what happens to such mail?

    Just showing you that I can also post from the web through the newsguy system
    directly. The email addy shown is spam proof as anything sent to it also
    trashed.

    richard, Aug 27, 2008