Zen of ...

Gerrit Holl

Hi,

shouldn't the Zen of Python really be called the Zen of Programming?

(asks someone who knows Python and only Python)

The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Beautiful is better than ugly.
Explicit is better than implicit.
Simple is better than complex.
Complex is better than complicated.
Flat is better than nested.
Sparse is better than dense.
Readability counts.
Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.
Although practicality beats purity.
Errors should never pass silently.
Unless explicitly silenced.
In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.
There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.
Now is better than never.
Although never is often better than *right* now.
If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea.
If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.
Namespaces are one honking great idea -- let's do more of those!

yours,
Gerrit.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Gerrit said:
Hi,

shouldn't the Zen of Python really be called the Zen of Programming?
I dont know, but since we've already have a Tao of Programming[1], what
is the Tao of Python ?-)

Bruno
[1] French translation (not yet finished but) here :
http://www.laotseu.net

Hans Nowak

Bruno said:
Gerrit said:
Hi,

shouldn't the Zen of Python really be called the Zen of Programming?
I dont know, but since we've already have a Tao of Programming[1], what
is the Tao of Python ?-)

Not sure... Confucianism and Taoism, as philosophies, can be applied to
programming too. I wrote some outlines for an article on that, half-seriously.
(Hey, there are so many flavors of programming, functional, stack-based,
structured, procedural, object-oriented, aspect-oriented, data-driven, etc...
why not Taoistic programming? :) Maybe next year I'll actually write that
article, though I cannot guarantee it will very useful...

Graham Fawcett

Bruno Desthuilliers said:
Gerrit said:
Hi,

shouldn't the Zen of Python really be called the Zen of Programming?
I dont know, but since we've already have a Tao of Programming[1], what
is the Tao of Python ?-)

Don't bother asking: "The Tao of Python that can be posted on Usenet
is not the true Tao." -- Lao Tse

;-)

-- G