Zero-width Spaces!

pmgriffin

Hi all,

i'm attempting to overcome the problem of table cell contents
overflowing by inserting zero-width spaces into the content string. The
scheme is working correctly in that i know longer receive overflow
errors. Unfortunately the zero-width spaces are being rendered as
visible white space such that www.urlname.com becomes www. urlname.
com. My xsl try to replace the '.' with '.​' which should give
me the url without the spaces.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? any suggestions as to why
the zero-width spaces are being rendered as visible white space??

any help appreciated!
Regards
Paul.

Andreas Prilop

The innocents abroad.
Unfortunately the zero-width spaces are being rendered as
visible white space such that www.urlname.com becomes www. urlname.
com. My xsl try to replace the '.' with '.​' which should give
me the url without the spaces.
Has anyone encountered this problem before? any suggestions as to why
the zero-width spaces are being rendered as visible white space??

Support for the zero-width space in fonts and browsers is poor
at the moment. See the thread
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=zero.width.space.still.unsafe
and also
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html