    --
    Mabden

    p.s. Can Zero ever be Off Topic in c.l.c?

    Mabden, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Mabden

    Rich Gibbs Guest

    Mabden said the following, on 10/24/05 09:09:
    > For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    > alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".
    >
    > Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?

    My American Heritage Dictionary gives both forms as acceptable plurals.

    --
    Rich Gibbs

    "You can observe a lot by watching." -- Yogi Berra

    Rich Gibbs, Oct 24, 2005

  3. >For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    >alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".

    A zeroe is what you get when you subtract two identical colours.
    A zero is what you get when you subtract two identical colors.

    >Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?

    The difference between a color and a colour is a genetic one (which
    tends to be divided by geography but isn't always). Some people
    see in color, some people see in colour. Cheap printer inks are
    notorious for not having the same color as colour.

    It's possible to make a T-shirt that appears to most British people
    to say "God **** the Queen" and to most Americans to say "God Save
    the Queen", ensuring that you will be beaten up by both.

    Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon Burditt, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Mabden

    Mark B Guest

    "Rich Gibbs" <> wrote in message
    > Mabden said the following, on 10/24/05 09:09:
    >> For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    >> alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".
    >>
    >> Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?
    >>

    > My American Heritage Dictionary gives both forms as acceptable plurals.

    .... but my standard only refers to it one way: zeros :)

    Mark B, Oct 24, 2005
  5. In article <0257f.5527$>,
    Mabden <mabden@sbc_global.net> wrote:

    > p.s. Can Zero ever be Off Topic in c.l.c?

    If you're talking about a ~65 year-old airplane that
    dragged the US into WWII, then yes.

    Anonymous 7843, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Mabden

    osmium Guest

    "Mabden" writes:

    > For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    > alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".
    >
    > Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?

    I think there is general disagreement, even in the US as to how to spell
    those. These are keywords in Cobol and they permit spelling either way.

    I used to work with a guy who insisted on spelling develop as develope.
    Drove me crazy, but it *is* permitted, at least by the dictionary I used at
    that time..

    osmium, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Mabden

    John Bode Guest

    Mabden wrote:
    > For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    > alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".
    >
    > Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?

    I don't think there's a C standard, but IIRC they're both reserved
    words in COBOL :p~~~

    John Bode, Oct 24, 2005
  8. On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:09:02 -0700, osmium said to the parser:

    > I used to work with a guy who insisted on spelling develop as develope.
    > Drove me crazy, but it *is* permitted, at least by the dictionary I used
    > at that time..

    And I thought dev-elope was when your two best programmers ran away to
    Vegas to get married.

    --
    Michael Coyne
    http://turthalion.blogspot.com

    Michael Coyne, Oct 24, 2005
  9. On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:09:02 -0700, "osmium" <>
    wrote:

    > "Mabden" writes:
    >
    > > For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    > > alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".
    > >
    > > Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?

    > I think there is general disagreement, even in the US as to how to spell
    > those. These are keywords in Cobol and they permit spelling either way.

    And COBOL doesn't require agreement in (linguistic) number either:
    MOVE ZERO[E]S TO single-char.
    MOVE ZERO TO big-honking-numeric.

    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

    Dave Thompson, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Mabden

    Joe Wright Guest

    John Bode wrote:
    > Mabden wrote:
    >
    >>For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    >>alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".
    >>
    >>Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?
    >>

    > I don't think there's a C standard, but IIRC they're both reserved
    > words in COBOL :p~~~
    >

    >>These are the issues we need to hammer out!! ;-)

    And then there's tomato, tomatoe, potato and potatoe? Where will this
    ever end? We can't expect Brits and Yanks to agree on these things,
    let's ask the Dutch. :)

    (Parenthetically, I find most Yanks and most Brits take their common
    language too much for granted and don't use it well. I have found that
    many Dutch who take English seriously, do exceeding well at it.)

    --
    Joe Wright
    --- Albert Einstein ---

    Joe Wright, Nov 2, 2005
  11. Mabden

    Richard Bos Guest

    Joe Wright <> wrote:

    > > Mabden wrote:
    > >
    > >>These are the issues we need to hammer out!! ;-)

    > And then there's tomato, tomatoe, potato and potatoe? Where will this
    > ever end? We can't expect Brits and Yanks to agree on these things,
    > let's ask the Dutch. :)

    It's tomaat and aardappel, as any fule noe.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Nov 3, 2005
  12. Joe Wright wrote:

    > John Bode wrote:
    > > Mabden wrote:
    > >
    > >>For some reason I seem to prefer "zeroes" with an e when it stands
    > >>alone, but "zeros" when it's a compound word like "all-zeros".
    > >>
    > >>Is there a C standard for this? Is it a Left-pond / Right-pond issue?

    > > I don't think there's a C standard, but IIRC they're both reserved
    > > words in COBOL :p~~~
    > >
    > >>These are the issues we need to hammer out!! ;-)

    > And then there's tomato, tomatoe, potato and potatoe? Where will this
    > ever end? We can't expect Brits and Yanks to agree on these things,
    > let's ask the Dutch. :)

    Where's Dan Quayle when you need him?

    [...]

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Nov 3, 2005
  13. Richard Bos wrote:

    > Joe Wright <> wrote:

    > > And then there's tomato, tomatoe, potato and potatoe? Where will this
    > > ever end? We can't expect Brits and Yanks to agree on these things,
    > > let's ask the Dutch. :)

    > It's tomaat and aardappel, as any fule noe.

    Pale Franse pa mè m' pè.

    Bourik rete bourik, menm lè l' gen sèl sou do l'.

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Nov 3, 2005
  14. >Where's Dan Quayle when you need him?

    That's Dan Quayl.

    Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon Burditt, Nov 3, 2005