ZIPCODE DB ACCESS TO SQL

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Make sure you're storing the zip code in a text field of one kind or another
(char or varchar for example) not a numeric field.

Kevin Spencer

This point can't be emphasized enough. A Zip Code is NOT a number. It is a
string containing a sequence of numeric characters. Some Zip Codes include
hyphens, as in:

12345-0123

Some Zip Codes Begin with '0'. If you treat them like numbers, you will
corrupt the data.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

DaveF

They are in an access db as a string. I exported it to a excell file and
imported it to a nvarchar. It got rid of the zero's in the beginning

--

David Fetrow
Helixpoint LLC.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I suspect Excel clipped the zeros.
It's notorious for such things.
Try to make sure Excel sees that data column as a text column.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Scott M.

The zeros came off when you brought the data into Excel, since Excel see's
numbers and automatically formats the cells as numeric. Change the format
of the cells to text.