    the code in plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need
    to do? Thanks for teaching.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Oct 3, 2011

  2. fulio pen

    Mike S Guest

    On 10/2/2011 6:32 PM, fulio pen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess
    > I have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not
    > normal. For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see
    > the code in plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need
    > to do? Thanks for teaching.
    >
    > fulio pen

    What OS? XP can extract the files. I like the freeware IZArc utility. If
    this doesn't solve your problem you would probably benefit from posting
    to a group for your OS.

    Mike S, Oct 3, 2011

  3. fulio pen wrote:

    > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
    > have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
    > For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
    > plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
    > Thanks for teaching.

    1. Where did you get this "folder?"
    2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
    3. What is its URL?
    4. Why did you download it?
    5. What code are you expecting to see?
    6. What files don't open?

    The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
    to ask on the way to finding a solution.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 3, 2011
  4. fulio pen

    Doug Miller Guest

    On 10/2/2011 10:19 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > fulio pen wrote:
    >
    >> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
    >> have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
    >> For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
    >> plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
    >> Thanks for teaching.

    > 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
    > 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
    > 3. What is its URL?
    > 4. Why did you download it?
    > 5. What code are you expecting to see?
    > 6. What files don't open?
    >
    > The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
    > to ask on the way to finding a solution.

    BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter:
    1) The entire thread is waaay off-topic here
    2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring useful responses to
    his many basic questions

    Doug Miller, Oct 3, 2011
  5. Doug Miller wrote:

    > BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter: 1) The entire thread is
    > waaay off-topic here 2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring
    > useful responses to his many basic questions

    Yes, I've noticed that. I even wrote a complete sample page recently for
    him showing how to 'not use frames'. No response to that one.

    Perhaps I shall pass by Mr Pen's posts from now on. Let him buy a book.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 3, 2011
  6. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <j6b62r$gs6$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > fulio pen wrote:
    >
    > > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
    > > have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
    > > For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
    > > plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
    > > Thanks for teaching.

    > 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
    > 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
    > 3. What is its URL?
    > 4. Why did you download it?
    > 5. What code are you expecting to see?
    > 6. What files don't open?
    >
    > The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
    > to ask on the way to finding a solution.

    But ... but ... splutter... you only asked six? Out of an almost
    infinite amount, what's a miserable six?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 3, 2011
  7. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Oct 2, 10:18 pm, Mike S <> wrote:
    > On 10/2/2011 6:32 PM, fulio pen wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess
    > > I have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not
    > > normal.  For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see
    > > the code in plain text.  Many files don't open, either. What do I need
    > > to do?  Thanks for teaching.

    > > fulio pen

    > What OS? XP can extract the files. I like the freeware IZArc utility. If
    > this doesn't solve your problem you would probably benefit from posting
    > to a group for your OS.

    Thanks. My OS is XP. Do I need to download IZarc? Thanks again.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Oct 3, 2011
  8. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Oct 2, 10:19 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > fulio pen wrote:
    > > I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
    > > have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal..
    > >  For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the codein
    > > plain text.  Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
    > > Thanks for teaching.

    > 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
    > 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
    > 3. What is its URL?
    > 4. Why did you download it?
    > 5. What code are you expecting to see?
    > 6. What files don't open?
    >
    > The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
    > to ask on the way to finding a solution.
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -This space for rent, but the price is high

    I downloaded the folder from: www.javascriptworld.com to hard drive.

    After downloading, I right clicked the folder, and go to properties at
    the bottom of the list of 'File'. It says the folder was a compressed
    (zipped) folder. And, there is a vertical bar on the left half of the
    folder. So I know it is not an ordinary folder. I plan to learn
    Javascript.

    The folder is for Javascript Eighth Edition, a tutorial book.

    When opening a file, nothing displays on the screen. No file works.

    Thanks a lot for help.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Oct 3, 2011
  9. fulio pen

    Neil Gould Guest

    fulio pen wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 10:18 pm, Mike S <> wrote:
    >> On 10/2/2011 6:32 PM, fulio pen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,

    >>> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I
    >>> guess I have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior
    >>> is not normal. For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me
    >>> to see the code in plain text. Many files don't open, either. What
    >>> do I need to do? Thanks for teaching.

    >>> fulio pen

    >> What OS? XP can extract the files. I like the freeware IZArc
    >> utility. If this doesn't solve your problem you would probably
    >> benefit from posting to a group for your OS.

    > Thanks. My OS is XP. Do I need to download IZarc? Thanks again.
    >
    > fulio pen

    Have you tried right-clicking on the file to see what options are available?
    Perhaps "unzip" is one of them, but if not, you may need to download another
    program to perform the operation.

    --
    Neil

    Neil Gould, Oct 3, 2011
  10. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Oct 2, 11:14 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > Doug Miller wrote:
    > > BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter: 1) The entire thread is
    > > waaay off-topic here 2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring
    > > useful responses to his many basic questions

    > Yes, I've noticed that. I even wrote a complete sample page recently for
    > him showing how to 'not use frames'. No response to that one.
    >
    > Perhaps I shall pass by Mr Pen's posts from now on. Let him buy a book.
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -This space for rent, but the price is high

    I believe someone else already offered a solution before you did. I
    got that one, and did not read the thread further. Thank you anyway.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Oct 3, 2011
  11. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Oct 2, 10:36 pm, Doug Miller <>
    wrote:
    > On 10/2/2011 10:19 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >

    > > fulio pen wrote:

    > >> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guessI
    > >> have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
    > >>   For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
    > >> plain text.  Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
    > >> Thanks for teaching.

    > > 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
    > > 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
    > > 3. What is its URL?
    > > 4. Why did you download it?
    > > 5. What code are you expecting to see?
    > > 6. What files don't open?

    > > The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
    > > to ask on the way to finding a solution.

    > BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter:
    > 1) The entire thread is waaay off-topic here
    > 2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring useful responses to
    > his many basic questions

    I don't see the question is off-topic. If anyone feels that way and is
    unhappy, just ignore the questions. I ask questions to offend nobody.
    I believe there are people who like to help others.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Oct 3, 2011
  12. fulio pen wrote:
    > I believe someone else already offered a solution before you did. I
    > got that one, and did not read the thread further. Thank you anyway.

    As with many things in life answers to questions are not restricted to one.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  13. fulio pen wrote:

    > I don't see the question is off-topic. If anyone feels that way and is
    > unhappy, just ignore the questions. I ask questions to offend nobody.
    > I believe there are people who like to help others.

    Compressed archives, their formats, and tools to compress and extract
    have nothing to do with HTML. the NG is alt.html.

    Maybe

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=what%20is%20a%20zip%20file>

    may be a better direction for inquiry?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  14. fulio pen wrote:
    > I downloaded the folder from:www.javascriptworld.com to hard drive.
    >
    > After downloading, I right clicked the folder, and go to properties at
    > the bottom of the list of 'File'. It says the folder was a compressed
    > (zipped) folder. And, there is a vertical bar on the left half of the
    > folder. So I know it is not an ordinary folder. I plan to learn
    > Javascript.
    >
    > The folder is for Javascript Eighth Edition, a tutorial book.
    >
    > When opening a file, nothing displays on the screen. No file works.

    If by the above URL you mean that you clicked the "Download the Scripts"
    from the menu, then the file:

    JavaScript8eScripts.zip [1.31 MB]

    has the book in HTML format in 17 folders chap01-chap17. If this is not
    what you got then I might suggest that your download was corrupted.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  15. fulio pen wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Yes, I've noticed that. I even wrote a complete sample page recently
    >> for him showing how to 'not use frames'. No response to that one.

    > I believe someone else already offered a solution before you did. I got
    > that one, and did not read the thread further. Thank you anyway.

    That's not true. The only other response was from Jukka, who only gave
    you answers about deprecation with HTML5.

    This thread:

    Subject: target and frame on html5

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 3, 2011
  16. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > fulio pen wrote:
    >> I downloaded the folder from:www.javascriptworld.com to hard drive.
    >>
    >> After downloading, I right clicked the folder, and go to properties at
    >> the bottom of the list of 'File'. It says the folder was a compressed
    >> (zipped) folder. And, there is a vertical bar on the left half of the
    >> folder. So I know it is not an ordinary folder. I plan to learn
    >> Javascript.
    >>
    >> The folder is for Javascript Eighth Edition, a tutorial book.
    >>
    >> When opening a file, nothing displays on the screen. No file works.

    > If by the above URL you mean that you clicked the "Download the Scripts"
    > from the menu, then the file:
    >
    > JavaScript8eScripts.zip [1.31 MB]
    >
    > has the book in HTML format in 17 folders chap01-chap17. If this is not
    > what you got then I might suggest that your download was corrupted.

    UPDATE:

    If you where expecting the "complete book" you will be disappointed. The
    files looks like they are just the example scripts from the book. IF you
    wanted the book you were supposed to click the link

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/0321772970?tag=chalcedonyconsul

    and pony-up the $22.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  17. fulio pen

    Doug Miller Guest

    On 10/3/2011 8:07 AM, fulio pen wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 10:19 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >> fulio pen wrote:
    >>> I downloaded a folder to my hard drive. It is a zipped folder. I guess I
    >>> have to do something (unzip?) on it, because its behavior is not normal.
    >>> For instance, it cannot be opened on NotePad, for me to see the code in
    >>> plain text. Many files don't open, either. What do I need to do?
    >>> Thanks for teaching.

    >> 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
    >> 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
    >> 3. What is its URL?
    >> 4. Why did you download it?
    >> 5. What code are you expecting to see?
    >> 6. What files don't open?
    >>
    >> The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
    >> to ask on the way to finding a solution.
    >>
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -This space for rent, but the price is high

    > I downloaded the folder from: www.javascriptworld.com to hard drive.
    >
    > After downloading, I right clicked the folder, and go to properties at
    > the bottom of the list of 'File'. It says the folder was a compressed
    > (zipped) folder. And, there is a vertical bar on the left half of the
    > folder. So I know it is not an ordinary folder. I plan to learn
    > Javascript.
    >
    > The folder is for Javascript Eighth Edition, a tutorial book.

    So why are you asking in an HTML group?

    > When opening a file, nothing displays on the screen. No file works.

    Ask in a JavaScript group, or in a Windows group if you can't figure out
    how to use your OS.

    Doug Miller, Oct 3, 2011
  18. fulio pen

    Doug Miller Guest

    On 10/3/2011 8:30 AM, fulio pen wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 10:36 pm, Doug Miller<>
    > wrote:

    >>> 1. Where did you get this "folder?"
    >>> 2. How do you know it is a zipped folder?
    >>> 3. What is its URL?
    >>> 4. Why did you download it?
    >>> 5. What code are you expecting to see?
    >>> 6. What files don't open?

    >>> The more information you supply, the fewer questions the rest of us have
    >>> to ask on the way to finding a solution.

    >> BtS, the answers to your questions don't matter:
    >> 1) The entire thread is waaay off-topic here
    >> 2) The OP has a history in this group of ignoring useful responses to
    >> his many basic questions

    > I don't see the question is off-topic.

    Nothing in it relates in any way to HTML. It is therefore off-topic in
    an HTML group.

    > If anyone feels that way and is
    > unhappy, just ignore the questions. I ask questions to offend nobody.

    The problem is that *you* ignore the *answers*. So why should anybody
    bother providing answers?

    > I believe there are people who like to help others.

    And I believe there are people who don't want to be helped, but instead
    want all the answers to be simply given to them, with no effort needed
    on their part. You appear to be one of them.

    Doug Miller, Oct 3, 2011
  19. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Oct 3, 9:43 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > > fulio pen wrote:
    > >> I downloaded the folder from:www.javascriptworld.comto hard drive.

    > >> After downloading, I right clicked the folder, and go to properties at
    > >> the bottom of the list of 'File'. It says the folder was a compressed
    > >> (zipped) folder. And, there is a vertical bar on the left half of the
    > >> folder. So I know it is not an ordinary folder. I plan to learn
    > >> Javascript.

    > >> The folder is for Javascript Eighth Edition, a tutorial book.

    > >> When opening a file, nothing displays on the screen. No file works.

    > > If by the above URL you mean that you clicked the "Download the Scripts"
    > > from the menu, then the file:

    > > JavaScript8eScripts.zip [1.31 MB]

    > > has the book in HTML format in 17 folders chap01-chap17. If this is not
    > > what you got then I might suggest that your download was corrupted.

    > UPDATE:
    >
    > If you where expecting the "complete book" you will be disappointed. The
    > files looks like they are just the example scripts from the book. IF you
    > wanted the book you were supposed to click the link
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/0321772970?tag=chalcedonyconsul
    >
    > and pony-up the $22.
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    I want to thank all for your responses and help. A solution is
    found.. XP has an Extraction Wizard. It turns zipped folders to
    normal ones. Thanks again.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Oct 3, 2011
  20. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Oct 3, 9:43 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > > fulio pen wrote:
    > >> I downloaded the folder from:www.javascriptworld.comto hard drive.

    > >> After downloading, I right clicked the folder, and go to properties at
    > >> the bottom of the list of 'File'. It says the folder was a compressed
    > >> (zipped) folder. And, there is a vertical bar on the left half of the
    > >> folder. So I know it is not an ordinary folder. I plan to learn
    > >> Javascript.

    > >> The folder is for Javascript Eighth Edition, a tutorial book.

    > >> When opening a file, nothing displays on the screen. No file works.

    > > If by the above URL you mean that you clicked the "Download the Scripts"
    > > from the menu, then the file:

    > > JavaScript8eScripts.zip [1.31 MB]

    > > has the book in HTML format in 17 folders chap01-chap17. If this is not
    > > what you got then I might suggest that your download was corrupted.

    > UPDATE:
    >
    > If you where expecting the "complete book" you will be disappointed. The
    > files looks like they are just the example scripts from the book. IF you
    > wanted the book you were supposed to click the link
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/0321772970?tag=chalcedonyconsul
    >
    > and pony-up the $22.
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    I've already purchased the paper book, and am following the
    instruction on it to download the code, but like to try the paperless
    book. Thanks for the information.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Oct 3, 2011