ZODB and Zope on one Linux machine, how?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Rene Pijlman, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Rene Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    I have a productional Linux web server with a Python/Zope/Plone. Now I'd
    like to install a non-Zope Python/ZODB application on the same server.
    What is the recommended way of doing that?

    Option 1:
    Install ZODB in the Python installation in the usual way. Should I expect
    problems when I install and run zope with that Python installation?

    Option 2:
    Do not install ZODB in the Python installation. Install Zope in the usual
    way. Add Zope's ZODB modules to the application's PYTHONPATH. But this may
    cause upgrade/compatibility problems with the application when Zope and
    the ZODB in it are upgraded.

    Option 3:
    Use separate Python installations for Zope and the application. Install
    ZODB in the application's Python installation, not in Zope's.

    Option 4:
    ?

    I'm using:
    - Python 2.3.5
    - ZODB 3.2.10 (same as in Zope 2.7.8)
    - Zope 2.7.8
    - Plone 2.1.1
    .... all built from source on Debian Woody.

    Thank you very much in advance.
    --
    René Pijlman
    Rene Pijlman, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Rene Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    Rene Pijlman:
    >Option 3:
    >Use separate Python installations for Zope and the application. Install
    >ZODB in the application's Python installation, not in Zope's.

    For the record, on zodb-dev I got this advice: "This is the only sane
    option".

    --
    René Pijlman

    Wat wil jij worden? http://www.carrieretijger.nl
    Rene Pijlman, Jan 25, 2006

  3. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:24:47 +0100
    Rene Pijlman <>
    wrote:
    > Option 1:
    > Install ZODB in the Python installation in the usual way.
    > Should I expect problems when I install and run zope with
    > that Python installation?

    I think this should work, actually.

    ZODB is just like other databases in that each application
    is going to make its own database. That is, there is a
    different top-level object. At least I think this is true.

    > Option 3:
    > Use separate Python installations for Zope and the
    > application. Install ZODB in the application's Python
    > installation, not in Zope's.

    If they don't have to interact with each other, this may be
    safest. I don't think you really want to make calls from
    one into the other, though, if they are different Python
    installations (I suppose it should be possible, but I'd be a
    little afraid of problems cropping up).

    > I'm using:
    > - Python 2.3.5
    > - ZODB 3.2.10 (same as in Zope 2.7.8)
    > - Zope 2.7.8
    > - Plone 2.1.1
    > ... all built from source on Debian Woody.

    The first option, if it works, would require that the ZODB
    used by your application is the same as what Zope uses,
    of course.

    --
    Terry Hancock ()
    Terry Hancock, Jan 25, 2006
  4. Rene Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    Terry Hancock:
    >Rene Pijlman:
    >> Option 1:
    >> Install ZODB in the Python installation in the usual way.
    >> Should I expect problems when I install and run zope with
    >> that Python installation?

    >I think this should work, actually.
    >
    >ZODB is just like other databases in that each application
    >is going to make its own database. That is, there is a
    >different top-level object. At least I think this is true.

    The databases will be separate of course. But I'd expect namespace
    conflicts with two ZODB's being installed when starting Zope (one in
    Python's site-packages, one in Zope's lib/python).

    ZODB's README says:
    "This version of ZODB can be used with Zope 2.7.3 or later, but you must
    replace the version of ZODB that comes packaged with Zope. It should be
    possible, for example, to install this code into a Zope 2.7 software
    home."

    But I'm not quite sure how that would work. Also, "should be possible"
    leaves room for doubt :)

    Rene Pijlman, Jan 26, 2006