ZoneEdit is Changing and Charging !

Mel Smith

Hi:

As some of you may know: I use ZoneEdit.com free services for
translating my website names into actual names for access to my home server.

Anyway, I had an announcement from ZoneEdit yesterday that they were now
going to 'pimp-up' their offerings and then going to charge for their
services. These changes will take place over the next few months.

(I wish *I* had somebody to charge ! )

David Segall

Mel Smith said:
Hi:

As some of you may know: I use ZoneEdit.com free services for
translating my website names into actual names for access to my home server.

Anyway, I had an announcement from ZoneEdit yesterday that they were now
going to 'pimp-up' their offerings and then going to charge for their
services. These changes will take place over the next few months.

(I wish *I* had somebody to charge ! )

Why you would need more than their free two zones if you aren't
charging someone? In any case, they provide a very cheap ($10.95) way
of keeping your 5 free zones <http://update.zoneedit.com/> "forever".
I find free services they provide extraordinary
<http://www.zoneedit.com/>. An added advantage is that they are
popular so that every router I have owned had an option to update
ZoneEdit's dynamic DNS.

Mel Smith

David said:
Why you would need more than their free two zones if you aren't
charging someone? In any case, they provide a very cheap ($10.95) way
of keeping your 5 free zones <http://update.zoneedit.com/> "forever".
I find free services they provide extraordinary
<http://www.zoneedit.com/>. An added advantage is that they are
popular so that every router I have owned had an option to update
ZoneEdit's dynamic DNS.

David:

My post was really mostly 'tongue-in-cheek' :)

I really appreciate their services, and have purchased my latest two
websites thru their 'sub-company': dotster.com

I'm going to but an extra credit or two anyway -- just so they know I'm
not always a 'freeloader'.

-Mel Smith

SAZ

Hi:

As some of you may know: I use ZoneEdit.com free services for
translating my website names into actual names for access to my home server.

Anyway, I had an announcement from ZoneEdit yesterday that they were now
going to 'pimp-up' their offerings and then going to charge for their
services. These changes will take place over the next few months.

(I wish *I* had somebody to charge ! )

I can appreciate your situation, but "free" is no longer a viable
business model for the long term. If they can't get advertising to pay
the bills, then we have to.