    (I wish *I* had somebody to charge ! )

    --
    Mel Smith

    Mel Smith, Aug 7, 2010

  2. Mel Smith

    David Segall Guest

    "Mel Smith" <> wrote:

    >Hi:
    >
    > As some of you may know: I use ZoneEdit.com free services for
    >translating my website names into actual names for access to my home server.
    >
    > Anyway, I had an announcement from ZoneEdit yesterday that they were now
    >going to 'pimp-up' their offerings and then going to charge for their
    >services. These changes will take place over the next few months.
    >
    >(I wish *I* had somebody to charge ! )

    Why you would need more than their free two zones if you aren't
    charging someone? In any case, they provide a very cheap ($10.95) way
    of keeping your 5 free zones <http://update.zoneedit.com/> "forever".
    I find free services they provide extraordinary
    <http://www.zoneedit.com/>. An added advantage is that they are
    popular so that every router I have owned had an option to update
    ZoneEdit's dynamic DNS.

    David Segall, Aug 7, 2010

  3. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    David said:

    > Why you would need more than their free two zones if you aren't
    > charging someone? In any case, they provide a very cheap ($10.95) way
    > of keeping your 5 free zones <http://update.zoneedit.com/> "forever".
    > I find free services they provide extraordinary
    > <http://www.zoneedit.com/>. An added advantage is that they are
    > popular so that every router I have owned had an option to update
    > ZoneEdit's dynamic DNS.

    David:

    My post was really mostly 'tongue-in-cheek' :)

    I really appreciate their services, and have purchased my latest two
    websites thru their 'sub-company': dotster.com

    I'm going to but an extra credit or two anyway -- just so they know I'm
    not always a 'freeloader'.

    -Mel Smith

    Mel Smith, Aug 7, 2010
  4. Mel Smith

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Hi:
    >
    > As some of you may know: I use ZoneEdit.com free services for
    > translating my website names into actual names for access to my home server.
    >
    > Anyway, I had an announcement from ZoneEdit yesterday that they were now
    > going to 'pimp-up' their offerings and then going to charge for their
    > services. These changes will take place over the next few months.
    >
    > (I wish *I* had somebody to charge ! )

    I can appreciate your situation, but "free" is no longer a viable
    business model for the long term. If they can't get advertising to pay
    the bills, then we have to.

    SAZ, Aug 9, 2010