Zoom Stragegh: Strawman

Discussion in 'HTML' started by (Pete Cresswell), Dec 8, 2004.

  1. I know nothing - so cut me a little slack here.

    I'm creating web pages about people. Each page will contain text about the
    person plus various photographs. Different pages will have different
    numbers/placement of photographs....with the text flowed around the photos.

    Given that most pix will be reduced (via Photoshop) in size to accomodate some
    low common denominator screen resolution-wise, I figure that every pic should
    actually be a link to a larger version of same.

    I would think that clicking on a picture should open a popup containing the
    next-larger version of that picture. And - here's where maybe I've been
    drinking too much coffee - the picture in the floater also sb a link to an
    even-larger version of the pic - using the same popup. Something like small
    (in the web page) ==> medium (first click) ==> large (click on medium) ==>
    original (click on large).

    As the Subject line says, this is a strawman.

    The genereal question is how to handle a desire to see more detailed versions of
    a photo that appears wrapped in text on a page.

    Anybody?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 8, 2004

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    Mitja Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:37:33 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    > even-larger version of the pic - using the same popup. Something like
    > small
    > (in the web page) ==> medium (first click) ==> large (click on medium)
    > ==>
    > original (click on large).

    All that clicking seems extremly clumsy and redundant. I'd say either
    a) only offer the small and large versions
    b) provide links under the image pointing directly to blowups in different
    resolutions. I prefer the first, classic way - who will want to see Mr.
    Duncan at 60x80, 180x240, 300x400 AND 600x800 anyway?

    And it's questionable whether to use popups at all. In this case, I'd
    probably go for them if the main page with pics is anything but really
    simple.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 8, 2004

  3. RE/
    >In this case, I'd
    >probably go for them if the main page with pics is anything but really
    >simple.

    If I wanted to avoid a popup, how would I handle it?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 8, 2004
  4. (Pete Cresswell)

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle (Pete Cresswell) scribbled in the mud:

    > I know nothing - so cut me a little slack here.

    You might hang yourself so no slack!

    > I'm creating web pages about people.

    Nude I hope

    > Each page will contain text about
    > the person plus various photographs.

    Good. Need those stats B-38 W-24 H-36

    > Different pages will have
    > different numbers/placement of photographs.

    Do'nt want a bunch of the ugly ones

    <snip>
    >I figure
    > that every pic should actually be a link to a larger version of same.

    Another good idea.

    > I would think that clicking on a picture should open a popup

    Bad idea. Browsers have back buttons.

    > containing
    > the next-larger version of that picture. And - here's where maybe I've
    > been drinking too much coffee

    Or mixing your meds.

    <snip>
    > Something like small (in the web page) ==> medium (first click) ==>
    > large (click on medium) ==> original (click on large).

    Just have your two larger images in seperate pages. Next to the original
    thumbnail image you could give your viewer a choice of which size the want
    to see. No need to make someone look at the mid sized image if the want to
    see the large one.

    > As the Subject line says, this is a strawman.

    So?

    > Anybody?

    I'm nobody but here you take what you can get. :)

    --
    Turtles have such tiny ears!

    Duende, Dec 8, 2004
  5. (Pete Cresswell)

    Mitja Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:08:57 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) <> wrote:

    > RE/
    >> In this case, I'd
    >> probably go for them if the main page with pics is anything but really
    >> simple.

    > If I wanted to avoid a popup, how would I handle it?

    a) JS which pops up an absolutely positioned div. Have to provide normal
    link (popup or not) as backup, which is not a problem. As annoying as
    normal popups, but on the other hand can be designed to look stylish and
    are more obvious than new windows, so there's hope for a smaller number of
    confused visitors.
    b) a perfectly ordinary link, opening the pic in the same window. You can
    even create a small script (php, python, whatever) that wraps the picture
    in same basic html with a "back" link and maybe even the person's name.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 8, 2004