Zooming again

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Richard supplied me with the solution so (older) visitors can enlarge
    the fonts on the site.
    It is: <input type="button" value="KLIK HIER VOOR GROTE LETTERS"
    onclick="document.body.style.fontSize = '2em'">
    <input type="button" value="klik hier voor standaard letters"
    onclick="document.body.style.fontSize = '1em'">
    Building antother site for elderly people I found this solution:
    Vergroot deze pagina door in het rondje te klikken met:<br>
    <input type="radio" name="z"
    onclick="document.body.style.zoom=1.0;this.blur();">
    100%
    <input type="radio" name="z"
    onclick="document.body.style.zoom=1.5;this.blur();">
    150%
    <input type="radio" name="z"
    onclick="document.body.style.zoom=2.0;this.blur();">
    200%
    <input type="radio" name="z"
    onclick="document.body.style.zoom=3.0;this.blur();">
    300%
    This works perfectly in IE. But nothing happens in Mozilla.
    Can anybody tell me why ?
    Richard´s solution can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com
    My new one can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com/swoa/swoaindex.htm
    Thanks
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Peter

    SpaceGirl Guest

    SpaceGirl, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Peter

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > This works perfectly in IE. But nothing happens in Mozilla.
    > Can anybody tell me why ?
    > Richard´s solution can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com
    > My new one can be seen at : http://pjm.fateback.com/swoa/swoaindex.htm

    Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
    and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
    document.body.style.zoom.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Peter wrote:

    > Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
    > and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
    > document.body.style.zoom.

    And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?
    (I never suggested I could improve Richard!)
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Peter

    rf Guest

    Peter wrote
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    > > Peter wrote:

    > > Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
    > > and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
    > > document.body.style.zoom.
    > >

    > And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?
    > (I never suggested I could improve Richard!)

    Do I *need* improving? <checks.../> Hmmm, perhaps. A couple of weeks at the
    snow may help. It's puking down at the hill right now :)

    Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
    microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...op/author/dhtml/reference/properties/zoom.asp

    (watch the wrap) scroll down to the bit where it says <q>This property is a
    Microsoft extension to [CSS]</q>

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Peter

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Peter wrote

    >>And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?
    >>(I never suggested I could improve Richard!)

    > Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
    > microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

    Didn't I like, say this a day ago?

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Peter

    rf Guest

    SpaceGirl
    > rf wrote:

    > > Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
    > > microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

    > Didn't I like, say this a day ago?

    Yep. Peter often misses posts :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    rf wrote:
    > SpaceGirl
    >
    >>rf wrote:

    >>>Zoom does not work in mozilla (or other non-IE browsers) because it is a
    >>>microsoft proprietory property. It is not part of the W3C standard.

    >>Didn't I like, say this a day ago?

    > Yep. Peter often misses posts :)

    Ho!Ho!Ho1
    I didn´t miss Her Majesty´s post. I followed the link she pointed.
    But I couldn´t believe and understand that IE had this exclusively.
    Furthermore I was given the impression by all the experts here,
    that Mozilla was one of the best. So nowadays I use that and IE only for
    testing purposes. I´m still trying to find some way to achieve a similar
    result for Mozilla. I refuse to believe that no one in this part of www
    can´t find my solution.
    Miranda and Richard thank you very much for making things clearer for me.
    Don´t forget I´m a (dirty) old man with deminishing grey stuff.
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Peter

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
    >> and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
    >> document.body.style.zoom.

    > And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?

    I already have told you -- because it's "totally made up". If you want
    something to work reliably, use techniques defined by a standard. Don't
    use things that you (or somebody else) just made up on a whim.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./james/the_best_of_james/03_shes_a_star.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Aug 5, 2004
  10. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >>Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>

    >>>Because in Richard's original you're using document.body.style.fontSize
    >>>and in the new "improved" version you're using the totally made up
    >>>document.body.style.zoom.

    >>And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?

    > I already have told you -- because it's "totally made up". If you want
    > something to work reliably, use techniques defined by a standard. Don't
    > use things that you (or somebody else) just made up on a whim.

    What if one is dumb like me?
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 5, 2004
  11. Peter

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> If you want something to work reliably, use techniques defined by a
    >> standard. Don't use things that you (or somebody else) just made up on
    >> a whim.

    > What if one is dumb like me?

    Then especially so, as dumb people tend to have dumber whims.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 5, 2004
  12. Peter

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Peter <> wrote in news:41126f61$0$142$1b2cd167
    @news.wanadoo.nl:

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Peter wrote:

    document.body.style.fontSize

    >>>And please tell me why doesn´t that work in Mozilla?

    >> I already have told you -- because it's "totally made up". If you want
    >> something to work reliably, use techniques defined by a standard.

    Don't
    >> use things that you (or somebody else) just made up on a whim.
    >>

    > What if one is dumb like me?

    Huh? What does that have to do with not using imaginary code?

    --
    In a room with thirty-seven people, never have everybody shake each
    other's hand.

    Sam Hughes, Aug 5, 2004
  13. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >>Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you want something to work reliably, use techniques defined by a
    >>>standard. Don't use things that you (or somebody else) just made up on
    >>>a whim.

    >>What if one is dumb like me?

    > Then especially so, as dumb people tend to have dumber whims.

    deviation of beaten roads has triggered beautiful things in the past.
    serendipity occurs doesn´t it?
    I don´t want to be self-conceited, but I believe there is a solution for
    every problem. We only have to find it.
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 6, 2004
  14. Peter