zope, external python routines, and state?

Ted Holden

I notice that zope doesn't like the idea of the file containing functions
for use as external modules containing global variable assignments.

I have an application which in its pygtk version consists of a number of
global assignments, a number of function definitions, and finally a

gtk.main()

line. I wish to create a zope version of the same application and one
requirement for that is that the application retain its state (global
variables) somehow or other.

What is the preferred way of doing that in zope?