[Zope] ZClass/External File or What?

Discussion in 'Python' started by mir nazim, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. mir nazim

    mir nazim Guest

    Hi,
    I am a PHP deleloper. i am currently studying Zope and want to migrate
    to it. I have developped a school management system in PHP. but now I
    want to implement it in Zope. I have worked through The Zope Book 2.6
    quickly. My problem is that I am confused where to start.

    I am giving a brief account of what I want to do.

    I have Identified Following class stuucture.

    class Person(Persistent):
    # inherits from Persistence.Persistent. to be stored in ZODB
    # Data Mambers:
    self.firstName
    self.midName
    self.lastName
    self.sex
    self.dob
    # And other data members like address, city, phone etc.

    # Methods:
    getFistName(self)
    getMidName(self)
    getLastName(self)
    getSex(self)
    getDob(self)
    setFistName(self)
    setMidName(self)
    setLastName(self)
    setSex(self)
    setDob(self)

    class Student(Person):
    # inherits from Person.
    # Data Members specific to students like;
    # Fee Status, class, course etc.

    # Data Members:
    # method for accessing and modifying attribute of student

    System is supposed to admit students and assign unique ids to
    them. student object will be stored in ZODB. searchning on id, first,
    mid and last names and possibly on other attributes like sex, date of
    birth etc has to be provided. system is to be used by end users and
    not zope administrators.

    Now the problem is that I am confused how to implement these
    classes. Should I implement them as ZClass or in External Files etc.
    Please Clarify. if p[ossible please recomend improvements on design
    also.

    Actually it is a small part of overall system which provides
    transport management, class/course management, exam/result management,
    employees payrolls and basic accounting for high schools. but to start
    with it should be enough to help me get a better feel of zope.

    Thanks...

    Mir Nazim.

    mir nazim, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Am Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:17:03 -0700 schrieb mir nazim:

    > Hi,
    > I am a PHP deleloper. i am currently studying Zope and want to migrate
    > to it. I have developped a school management system in PHP. but now I
    > want to implement it in Zope. I have worked through The Zope Book 2.6
    > quickly. My problem is that I am confused where to start.

    Hi,

    In the year 2001 I had the same questions.
    I found it difficult to code with Zope. So I switched
    to ZODB+Quixote:

    Here is a good introduction to ZODB programming:

    http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage/guide/index.html

    Regards,
    Thomas

    --
    Thomas G├╝ttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

    Thomas Guettler, Jul 12, 2004

  3. mir nazim wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am a PHP deleloper. i am currently studying Zope and want to migrate
    > to it. I have developped a school management system in PHP. but now I
    > want to implement it in Zope. I have worked through The Zope Book 2.6
    > quickly. My problem is that I am confused where to start.
    >
    > I am giving a brief account of what I want to do.
    >
    > I have Identified Following class stuucture.

    (snip)

    > Now the problem is that I am confused how to implement these
    > classes. Should I implement them as ZClass or in External Files etc.
    > Please Clarify. if p[ossible please recomend improvements on design
    > also.

    I guess you'd better make it a product. You'll find a couple of
    tutorials and probably useful base classes here :
    http://zope.org/Members/maxm/index_html

    Bruno

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Jul 13, 2004