404 error invoking web service

Tim Orr

Hi, I'm having a problem with a web service that I wrote.
I first wrote & tested the web service on my local (XP) machine.
I used visual studio to generate the web reference, which resolved to
localhost, of course.
All was well, everything worked.

Then I moved the web service to a Win2K server on a "real" web site.
I deleted the old web reference from my consumer code.
Using visual studio I added a new web reference to the consumer code from
the web server.
I changed the C# code from using a localhost namespace to the com.xxx.yyy
namespace generated by visual studio.

When I invoke the web service, I get a 404 error - resource not found in the
browser window.
The stack trace is telling me that the failure is at
"this.Invoke( "Zip", new object[] { .... } ) in reference.cs [which is
generated by visual studio]

I can browse to the web service using IE, I get the expected results.

What the heck is wrong?