80004005 and Jet Engine errors

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dan Matthews, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Dan Matthews

    Dan Matthews Guest

    Hey everybody,

    Just wanted to post some info for all the poor saps out there banging
    they're heads trying to figure out how to fix a "Microsoft OLE DB
    Provide error 80004005" and/or "Microsoft Jet Engine" errors. I was
    suffering from this problem recently and used this forum to try and
    diagnose the problem.

    The consensus resolution has been to add the IUSR_servername and
    possibly IWAM_servername groups to the directory that contains the
    databases. I was also getting the Jet Engine error and referred to MS
    solution which was to add the Everyone group the %TEMP% directory that
    the jet files use to store their tmp files. This did not work for me.

    After trial and error and some help from the university web group,
    they were able to figure that adding the IUSR_servername group to the
    %TEMP% directory as well solved the problem. I am happy, my website
    is happy and I thought I would post this to the group.

    Thank you.

    If you have any questions, please ask.

    Dan Matthews, MCP
    Technology Manager
    Green Hall, University of Kansas
    (785) 864-9267

    http://www.people.ku.edu/~dmatthew/

    Dan Matthews, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Dan Matthews

    Ray at Guest

    You could have saved yourself hours of work by going to
    www.aspfaq.com/search.asp?q=80004005. :]

    Also, if you use modern OLEDB instead of old technology ODBC, you don't have
    to worry about the %temp% nonsense, I believe.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Dan Matthews

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Hi,

    There is no IUSR_<servername> *group* on a default IIS install as far as I'm
    aware. I suspect that your server admins have created their own custom IUSR
    accounts (eg to run multiple sites), and created their own group to store
    these users in.

    Hence, the site that was failing was running under an account other than
    IUSR_<machinename> or IWAM_<machinename>

    Cheers
    Ken

    : Hey everybody,
    :

    Ken Schaefer, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Dan Matthews

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Doesn't matter if you use ODBC or OLEDB. Both store info in the temp
    directory.

    Cheers
    Ken

    : You could have saved yourself hours of work by going to
    : www.aspfaq.com/search.asp?q=80004005. :]
    :
    : Also, if you use modern OLEDB instead of old technology ODBC, you don't
    have
    : to worry about the %temp% nonsense, I believe.
    :
    : Ray at work
    :
    : : > Hey everybody,