80004005 and Jet Engine errors

Dan Matthews

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to post some info for all the poor saps out there banging
they're heads trying to figure out how to fix a "Microsoft OLE DB
Provide error 80004005" and/or "Microsoft Jet Engine" errors. I was
suffering from this problem recently and used this forum to try and
diagnose the problem.

The consensus resolution has been to add the IUSR_servername and
possibly IWAM_servername groups to the directory that contains the
databases. I was also getting the Jet Engine error and referred to MS
solution which was to add the Everyone group the %TEMP% directory that
the jet files use to store their tmp files. This did not work for me.

After trial and error and some help from the university web group,
they were able to figure that adding the IUSR_servername group to the
%TEMP% directory as well solved the problem. I am happy, my website
is happy and I thought I would post this to the group.

Thank you.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Dan Matthews, MCP
Technology Manager
Green Hall, University of Kansas
(785) 864-9267
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.people.ku.edu/~dmatthew/

Ken Schaefer

Hi,

There is no IUSR_<servername> *group* on a default IIS install as far as I'm
aware. I suspect that your server admins have created their own custom IUSR
accounts (eg to run multiple sites), and created their own group to store
these users in.

Hence, the site that was failing was running under an account other than
IUSR_<machinename> or IWAM_<machinename>

Cheers
Ken

: Hey everybody,
:
[...]

Doesn't matter if you use ODBC or OLEDB. Both store info in the temp
directory.

Cheers
Ken

: You could have saved yourself hours of work by going to
: www.aspfaq.com/search.asp?q=80004005. :]
:
: Also, if you use modern OLEDB instead of old technology ODBC, you don't
have
: to worry about the %temp% nonsense, I believe.
:
: Ray at work
:
: : > Hey everybody,